Say NO to Cuts to Intellectual Disability Services in PA
- by: Community Services Group
- target: Governor Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania Legislature, Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare Office of Developmental Programs
DPW recently implemented changes in the ID waiver fiscal policies that will reduce payment to providers by nearly $150 million this year compared to last year. This is five times greater than the $30 million cut included in the budget by the Legislature. As a result, services to some of our state's most vulnerable citizens will be significantly impacted. These impacts will include:
- termination of services to those who need them
- the reduction or elimination of management and administrative oversight of services required to meet all regulatory and quality expectations
- the reduction of employee wages and benefits
- inability for providers to serve new individuals
- an increase in admissions to state centers
We the undersigned are deeply concerned about the recent $150 million payment reduction to providers of intellectual disability services in Pennsylvania. This funding cut will pose a significant risk to the quality of lives of some of our state's most vulnerable citizens. It will also greatly impact the families of individuals with intellectual disabilities as well as the providers that serve them. As the 2012/13 budget process begins, it is imperative that services for individuals with intellectual disabilities be adequately funded and that the Office of Developmental Programs appropriately manage authorizations to avoid implementing harmful policies, such as the revenue adjustment factor. Admissions to state centers have increased alarmingly over the last year and the immense amount of progress made on providing cost-effective services in the community must not be abandoned. We also ask that a meaningful stakeholder input option be put in place. We implore you to do everything in your power to stop further budget cuts and restore funding to Pennsylvania's intellectual disability services.
Thank you for your time and consideration.