WHEREAS Disposable Beverage Containers:
- contribute to waste problems in Ontario;
- litter streets, parks and waterways; and
- burden municipal taxpayers with costs to collect, and
market/dispose of them; and
WHEREAS Deposit/Return programs:
- prevent litter and result in higher diversion rates;
- provide a financial reward to people for returning
- generate good quality materials that can benefit
industry and increase jobs; and
- make producers/consumers financially responsible for
containers they make/use (instead of all taxpayers).
WE, the undersigned, petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario to:
Require producers and/or first importers of all beverage containers to implement a deposit/return program, which will provide an appropriate reward to encourage people to return beverage containers to local outlets or depots, similar to the successful program provided by The Beer Store.