We, free citizens of the United States of America, and other free
nations of the world, urge the United States government to take action
and address the ongoing crisis of modern-day slavery. There are
over 27 Million Slaves in the world today- a number greater than any
other time in human history.
We urge our government to sponsor and support House Resolution 2522, Congressional Commission on the Abolition of Modern-Day Slavery Act, which establishes a Congressional Commission on the Abolition of Modern-day Slavery which shall:
(1) study matters relating to modern-day slavery
(2) review programs of relevant governmental agencies
(3) examine efforts by foreign countries and multilateral organizations to combat modern-day slavery
(4) convene additional experts from nongovernmental organizations as part of the Commission
The Commission shall also:
(1) advise Congress on how the United States could support efforts to eradicate modern-day slavery
(2) evaluate comparative strategies to prevent modern-day slavery, rescue and rehabilitate its victims, and prosecute traffickers and increase accountability within countries
(3) examine the economic impact on communities and countries that demonstrate measured success in fighting modern-day slavery
(4) evaluate the effectiveness of U.S. laws prohibiting the importation of goods produced through forced labor or child labor
(5) evaluate U.S. trade policy's effect on modern slavery, including a list of the 10 countries with the highest number of slaves within their borders
(6) evaluate U.S. government procurement policies regarding slave-made goods or services. Terminates the Commission 90 days after submission of a report required under this Act.
The United States and President Obama have the ability and responsibility to protect the people of this region by using their influential position and their financial ability to provide humanitarian assistance to the region.
We are urging the United States Government to exercise its considerable influence to end modern day slavery in India and the rest of the world so that the world is free from this scourge against humanity.
As global citizens, we are responsible for ensuring that our fellow human beings are guarenteed basic rights and equality. We must ACT NOW and be the voice for those who have no voice. Thank you.
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!