KIND ATTENTION :-
Prof. Yash Pal - Chancellor,Prof. B. B. Bhattacharya - Vice-Chancellor,Prof. Rajendra Prasad (Rector-I),Prof. Ramadhikari Kumar (Rector-II),Prof. R. K. Kale (Dean of Students),Prof. H.B.Bohidar (Chief Proctor). Sir,
Kindly refer to the petition -http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/horrific-murder-of-the-street-dog-in-delhi
which is self explanatory about the crime.
Hence being an Representative of OIPA -www.oipa.org in India & Master Trainer of the Animal Welfare Board of India required the following information under the RTI Act, 2005:-
1. How many stray dogs sex wise male-female are roaming in the campus of the JNU ?
2. What steps you have taken yet for the welfare of these dogs, like anti rabies vaccination & sterilization along with feeding, treatment & care,
If not then what is your proposal for future ?
3. What is the truth behind of the incident - the killing of stray dog in your campus along with the action taken report ?
4. Where is the body of the killed dog, if she was murdered by a student then why this prime evidence was destroyed before postmortem & who are the responsible s for this lapse.
5. What action you have taken yet against the accused of this dog killing, please give me the complete details of the accused along with photographs?
6. Is there any complaint lodged by the JNU officially with the Police, if yes then what is the status of the case ?
The required fee under the act are being sent by post.
C-38, Rose Apartment, Sector-14,
Prashant Vihar, ROHINI, DELHI - 110085.
QUESTIONS SUBMITTED TO THE JNU PIO UNDER THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT
- Whether an incident leading to the killing of a dog/bitch in JNU, Kaveri hostel Room No. 248 occurred on the night of 07/07/2008 /08/07/2008.
- Whether the carcass of a dead dog/bitch was recovered from Room No. 248, Kaveri hostel on the night of 07/07/2008 /08/07/2008.
- What were the nature of wounds found on the carcass of the said dog/bitch.
- Whether the dead body of this dog/bitch was sent for post-mortem, or whether any effort was made by the concerned Warden/ Dean / any other authority to hand over the carcass of the said dog/bitch to the authorities for post-mortem.
- What procedure was followed to dispose off the body of the said dog/bitch and by whom.
- Whether the student in residence in Room No. 248, Kaveri hostel, JNU, was permitted to wash out his room after the incident, if so, then by which authority?
- Whether any attempt was made by the JNU authorities in question to seal the hostel room 248 after the killing of the dog/bitch.
- Was Room N. 248 examined by any JNU authority following the incident leading to the discovery of the dead body of the dog/bitch. If so, then by which authority?
- Was any written complaint given by any JNU authority to the Vasant Vihar Police Station pertaining to the killing of a dog/bitch in Kaveri hostel Room No. 248 that occurred on the night of 07/07/2008 /08/07/2008, if so, then by whom?
- If an incident leading to the killing of a dog/bitch in Kaveri hostel Room No. 248 occurred on the night of 07/07/2008 /08/07/2008, what action, if any, was taken against the person/persons who allegedly killed the dog/bitch.
- Whether the student in residence in Room No. 248, Kaveri hostel, JNU, has given a 'confessional statement' to JNU authorities.
- Request for a copy of the 'confessional statement' given by student in residence in Room No. 248, Kaveri hostel, JNU to JNU authorities.
- Whether an inquiry was carried out by the JNU authorities into this incident, if so, then by whom?
- Request for a copy of the Report prepared by the JNU authorities on the basis of the 'confessional statement' of the student in residence in Room No. 248, Kaveri hostel, JNU pertaining to the killing of a dog/bitch in the same room on the night of 07/07/2008 /08/07/2008.
- Whether any representation by the other students in residence in Kaveri hostel was received by the authorities pertaining to this incident on the same night of the incident.
- Request for a copy of the representation signed by various students pertaining to the killing of a dog/bitch in Room 248, Kaveri hostel, JNU on the night of 07/07/2008 /08/07/2008.
Citizens for the Welfare and Protection of Animals (regd.)Dear Sirs/Madams,
We are animal advocates from Greece, a long way far from your
beautiful country but still informed by Indian animal lovers about what
is happening there concerning animal issues. We were appalled and
shocked to read the story of the horrific murder of the street dog, Kali
in JNU Campus, New Delhi. The cruelty involved in the crime is not only
unspeakable but also arises suspicion on the ability of these human
monsters to harm not only animals but also human beings. Many police and
psychological reports worldwide prove a certain dependence between
animal and human cruelty. Many serial killers and other criminals had a
history of animal cruelty in their past.
Apart from this, the size of this brutality orders that the
responsible persons are punished at the highest extent of the law, for a
civilized society cannot allow such crimes to take place in vain. It is
a matter of compassion and morality. Not to mention the fact that the
world regards the Indian society as one with long and respected
religious and folk tradition, which represents the peaceful coexistence
of all forms of life. Animals are nothing less than human beings: they
deserve the same respect and dignity to their life and death. And the
educational committee should always be a pioneer to the promotion of
such ideals, for science and scientists should aim the improvement of
life, physically, mentally and morally. It is therefore the educational
committee's duty to think very thoroughly and honest, how is it possible
people like Yoronso and his friends to fulfill these demands.
In this aspect we ask to be secured that:
a) The responsible will be expelled and also blacklisted.
b) Yoronso's PhD (which he is going to submit on July 20 or 21, 2008)
will not be accepted and his guide will not be allowed to sign his PhD.
c) A charge sheet against him will be submitted to the police and he
will be immediately arrested.
Animal advocate from Greece
Please have a look for up dates
The need of the hour is to get the various police complaints converted into an FIR and press for the arrest of Yoronsu. The Warden has already forwarded eyewitness accounts of some students, written and signed, to the Proctor. When we met the DCP we told her this but as far as I know, neither has the Proctor handed over these eyewitness accounts to the police, nor has the police made any effort to procure them. The crucial factor is police inaction. They are already in possession of 6 police complaints on this issue, one of them from the Warden, one from a student and neighbor of Yoronsu, two from Naresh Kadyan and two from me. At this stage, we should increase our pressure on the police (through phone calls, emails and RTIs addresses to them) to act on the complaints, record the statements of eyewitnesses, convert the complaints into an FIR and most importantly, arrest the guilty. We should also tell the Proctor to immediately hand over the eyewitness accounts of the students (submitted by the Warden) to the police. Please email him with this request.
Sonya Ghosh, Citizens for the Welfare and Protection of Animals
OIPA INDIA received a mail about this incident :-
We are pasting below an account by a student of one of India's premier
institutions, the Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, who was an
eyewitness to what happened in room 248 of Kaveri Hostel, JNU in the
pre-dawn hours of July 8, 2008. The other students were so sickened
that one called the police another one wrote this account and emailed it, others did a signature campaign. So this info is from these students, the insiders.
"FROM A STUDENT WHO KNEW KALI, THE DOG WHO WAS MURDERED
"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls
and one such night was Monday when Kali, an eight year old female
Indian Street Dog was brutally robbed off her life at JNU Campus, New
Delhi Kali never knew any comforts because eight years ago she was born and raised on the unforgiving streets by a doting mother called Leela that gave birth to her in the bushy interiors near Kaveri Hostel on JNU Campus. They suffered the cold of the winter and the heat of the
summer and had little to eat but yet they were happy. Little Kali
would often be bullied and stoned by the rogue and rowdy boys of
Kaveri hostel yet she never complained and would quickly forget her
bruises and tormentors to go foraging with Leela to the nearest
"Years went by and life was sailing through until a few boys
moved into the Kaveri Hostel, an event that would plague Kali's life
"The boys had a blatant disregard towards both Kali and Leela and awaited an opportune moment to slice and stew them both for a
licentious feast of dog-meat. Thus in the fall of 2006 they executed
their intentions by lynching Leela who was an aging bitch. Leela was
ambushed and assaulted till she succumbed to her mortal injuries, the boys were all set to exploit their culinary interests from her
carcass but had to abruptly abort as their butchery began to draw
crowds. Fearing an uproar, a cover up act ensued jointly authored by
the Hostel management and the folks, to silence all eloquence
they posthumously labeled Leela falsely as an aggressive dog and
justified the gruesome slaughter, hours later Leela's corpse was
shoved into a sac and placed near the same dumpster where she and Kali used to go and forage, Kali sat orphaned next to her mother's
mutilated corpse until Vatavaran an NGO took the carrion away.
"History repeated itself on July 8, 2008 when in the wee hours of the
morning i.e. 2 a.m. Yoronso, a 30 year old notorious man pursuing his Ph.D form JNU's School Of Social Science, (Center for Political Studies) and occupant of Room # 248 Kaveri Hostel invited over two of his friends who spotted Kali sitting near the staircase and
instantaneously developed a longing to consume her flesh. To hatch
their heinous scheme they lured Kali with a Parle G biscuit to
Yoronso's room (Room # 248) and once inside they bolted the room from within, Yoronso then fed Kali some rice that he had gotten from the hostel mess downstairs and once Kali was done having it, he wrapped around Kali's snout two torn "Duppattas". Kali unsuspecting of the crimes that were to take place was busy thanking Yoronso and his friends for that Parle G biscuit and rice dish they let her have but
suddenly Yoronso began to bludgeon her with a cricket bat and soon his friends joined in with a curtain rods.
"This battering prolonged for almost an hour and when Kali was
sufficiently dazed owing to the relentless beating then Yoronso
plunged his knife into her and began to sever her while she was still
alive, kicking and writhing in agonizing pain and continuing to
breathe in ragged gasps as she kept blinking slowly.
"Next 20 minutes Yoronso mercilessly dismembered her limb after limb
while she still kept alive and mystifyingly watched the horrors and
butchery being performed on her. Yoronso's friend then brought a brick
and began to smash Kali's skull with that and resultantly Kali
"The commotion of this sordid crime was enough to shatter the peace of the hostel sending students and wardens scurrying towards the scene of crime. Yoronso and his accomplices were caught red-handed and the bystanders were nauseated to witness the degree of cruelty involved. Some of the students were so overwhelmed to see that enormous pool of blood and Kali's maimed body that they called the Police but the Hostel Wardens were quick to dissuade them and staged another cover up by destroying the evidence i.e. Kali's corpse, murder weapons etc. The Police did arrive but as expected conducted their hallmark slipshod investigations and made no attempt to nab the culprits or secure the prima facie evidence
"With the apparent laxity of Police and Wardens the matter would have
easily died down and warden casually issued a letter to Yoronso asking him to vacate his hostel accommodation. Yoronso is due to submit his Ph.D on 21st July 2008 and was already in the process of vacating his room prior to this tragic event which he perpetrated thus Warden's action can only be termed as adding insult to injury but understandably so because the Wardens at JNU are a cowardly bunch of self-serving narcissists, spineless sycophants who eschew controversy and pathetically ingratiate themselves with administrators and are normalized into silence and conformity in order to win their bid for tenure. So to expect stern action from them is mythical.
"I would like to mention here that this is not an isolated incident
but a periodical event which recurrently takes place on JNU Campus as
demonic north-eastern boys gather amidst a beer induced bravado and
haul up street dogs that are later mercilessly decimated and
barbecued. Adding to our sequence of grief JNU Administration is
consciously aware of these hideous acts and yet they remain
The wardens details are:
Dr. Saumen Chattopadhyay Warden (Sanitation. & Maintace ) Kaveri
Phone # - 0112674 1765
Mobile # - 9873439840
e-mail - mailto:saumen AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Pls write to the people on the following list and ask
for JNU to take the following action against the student:
a) Expel him and also blacklist him.
b) Do not accept Yoronso's PhD (which he is going to submit on July 20
or 21, 2008) and do not allow his guide to sign his PhD.
c) Submit a charge sheet against him to the police and get him
Prof. Yash Pal (Chancellor)
Office # - 0112610 2430 Residence # - 01202512075
e-mail mailto:palyash AT vsnl.com
Prof. B. B. Bhattacharya (Vice-Chancellor)
Office # - 0112674 1500, 0112674 2580 (Fax)
0112674 1555, 01126742541(Fax)
e-mail mailto:bbb AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Prof. Rajendra Prasad (Rector-I)
Office # - 0112674 2950
Residence # 0112674 1580
e-mail mailto:rp47 AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Prof. Ramadhikari Kumar (Rector-II)
Office # - 01126741600
Residence # 0112674 2574
e-mail - mailto:rector_2 AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Prof. R. K. Kale (Dean of Students)
Residence # 0112674 2671
e-mail - mailto:rkkale AT mail.jnu.ac.in
mailto:dean_students AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Prof. H.B.Bohidar (Chief Proctor)
Office # - 0112674 1562
mailto:chief_proctor AT mail.jnu.ac.in
mailto:bohi0700 AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Dean Of Yoronso's School -
Prof. Harjit Singh (Dean School of Social Sciences)
Office # - 0112674 1504
Residence # 0112674 2859, 9811392343
e-mail - mailto:harjit AT mail.jnu.ac.in
mailto:dean_sss AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Yoronso's Teaching Faculty -
Prof. Valerian Rodrigues ( Professor at School of Social Sciences,
Center for Political Studies)
Phone # - 0112671 7241
e-mail - mailto:valerianrodrigues AT yahoo.com
Prof. Balveer Arora (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Centre
for Political Studies)
Phone # - 01126140810
e-mail - mailto:balveerarora AT yahoo.com
Prof. Zoya Hasan (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Centre for
Phone # - 0112610 7045
e-mail - mailto:zoyahasan AT hotmail.in
Prof. Rakesh Gupta (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Center for
Phone # - 0112619 3011
Phone # - 011 26711770
e-mail - mailto:gupta35 AT gmail.com
Prof. Sudha Pai (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Centre for
Phone # - 0112610 4436
e-mail - mailto:sudhapai AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Prof. Gurpreet Mahajan (Professor at School of Social Sciences,
Center for Political Studies)
Phone # - 0112625 5388
e-mail - mailto:gurpreet AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Prof. Gopal Guru (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Centre for
Phone # - 01126172264
e-mail - mailto:gopalguru2001 AT yahoo.con
Prof. Pralaya Kanungo (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Centre
for Political Studies)
Phone # - 01125073136
e-mail - mailto:pralayakanungo AT yahoo.com
Prof. Vidhu Verma (Professor at School of Social Sciences, Center for
Phone # - 01126175651
e-mail - mailto:vidhuverma AT Yahoo.com
Dr. Shefali Jha (Assoc. Professor at School of Social Sciences,
Centerfor Political Studies)
Phone # - 0112617 7710
Dr. Manindra Nath Thakur (Assoc. Professor at School of Social
Sciences, Center for Political Studies)
Phone # - 01126741495
e-mail mailto:mainder AT gmail.com
Dr. Asha Sarangi (School of Social Sciences, Centre for Political
Phone # - 01165437653
e-mail - mailto:ashasarangi AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Jit Singh Dy. Registrar (SC/ST Cell)
Office # - 0112674 7607
Residence # 0112616 3441
e-mail mailto:jitsingh AT mail.jnu.ac.in
mailto:dr_scst AT mail.jnu.ac.in
Mrs. Poonam S. Kudaisiya (Public Relations Officer JNU)
Office # - 0112674 2601
Residence # 9810692081
e-mail - mailto:pro AT mail.jnu.ac.in