we've got signatures, help us get to 1,000 by August 21, 2012
We formally request that:
1. All criminal charges against Ms. Kakaya, Ms. Tuna, and Ms. Gamen relating to their arrest in 2010 be dropped immediately.
2. An independent investigation be launched into the discriminatory treatment by the police and courts of transgender people under the pretext of implementing the law.
3. Laws that are often used to target transgender individuals, such as the Law on Misdemeanors, be amended or revoked.
4. The Police Duty and Authority Law, and other laws governing the powers and duties of the police, be amended to prevent police officers from harassing transgender individuals and human rights defenders and to hold them accountable when they do.
5. The Turkish government pass legislation to protect the rights of transgender people, including, inter alia, a non-discrimination law inclusive of sexual orientation and gender identity and a law prohibiting hate crimes motivated by homophobia and transphobia.
6. Comprehensive national training for law enforcement officials on the treatment of vulnerable minorities, including transgender people, to prevent future cases of police harassment, brutality and mistreatment.
Thank you for taking the time to review our requests and for taking immediate action to protect the rights of your transgender citizens.
If everything looks correct, click sign now. Your signature will not be added until you click the button below.