SCCC's award-winning student newspaper, The City Collegian, has been shut down. You can read about it here:
We hope you will support the return of the Collegian by signing this online petition:
"I value an independent student newspaper at Seattle Central. An independent student press serves as a forum for community discussion and debate, a marketplace of ideas, a watchdog on the governance of our community, and provides a source of vital education and experience to our students.
I believe that the rights to free expression, as guaranteed by the First Amendment, must be cultivated, respected and protected on this college campus.
I therefore ask the administrators of this college to take the following actions immediately:
1. Give the newsroom back to the staff of The City Collegian, and restore their budget
2. Appoint a qualified faculty member as adviser.
3. Relinquish the chair of the Publications Board to a faculty member, and let a faculty committee determine the Board's membership.
4. Affirm that the mission of the Publications Board is to foster and protect independent student media at Seattle Central.
5. Protect the Collegian from other administrative control; give the Publications Board sole oversight over student
Thanks for your help in preserving a student voice at Seattle Central.
If everything looks correct, click sign now. Your signature will not be added until you click the button below.