Facebook Campaign to Stop Dump Site 41
We the undersigned demand that the Ontario Government reverse its decision granting permission to drain water from the aquifer at Site 41 in Simcoe County to allow for a landfill to be built on the site for the following reasons:Sign Petition
1. Scientists have referred to the pristine artesian aquifer in the area as one of the cleanest sources of freshwater in the world, comparable to ancient arctic ice. The water is so clean it can be used as a benchmark for gauging the purity of other water around the world.
2. There is widespread resistance to the proposed dump site within the communities around the aquifer. The citizens and First Nations of Simcoe County are demanding that the County explore other options to manage waste by implementing waste reduction strategies, upgrading the 50 existing landfills, and recycling recyclable products lying in older landfills.
3. Several sources, including Environment Canada, agree that Canada is on the brink of a freshwater crisis. It is important that we make the protection of freshwater sources -- not the placement of new landfills -- our first priority.
4. All life drinks from the springs that will be drained: beaver, bear, wolves, deer, fox, coyotes, turkeys, eagles, ducks and many others. The draining of the aquifer at Site 41 will affect the Wye River and Wye Marsh -- an important bird sanctuary in Ontario. Your government must assess the impacts on the entire ecosystem of draining this crucial water supply.
5. Building a dump site on a pristine aquifer fundamentally contradicts your government's stated goal of moving Ontario "toward a zero-waste future."
6. The native peoples have not been consulted about the development of a garbage dump known as Site 41 in the territories of Georgian Bay and the Ojibwe, Chippewa, Metis, Wendat (Huron) and Mohawk Nations.
We are counting on you to make the right decision. Put a stop to Dump Site 41!