It's been said that Heaven's greatest attribute is Mercy. If that is so, then how do we, mere mortals on Earth, reciprocate Heaven's boundless munificence? Through Compassion.
Surely, many of us have been so blessed. But for some, compassion remains an elusive, incomprehensible, almost alien concept. Even worse, at times, those who are in a position to render compassion are the very ones who commit and perpetuate acts of cruelty.Take for example, the Committee on Animal Welfare (CAW), the government body charged with overseeing all animal welfare issues in the Philippines. CAW's specific responsibility is the superintendence of that country's Animal Welfare Act of 1998 (RA 8485) whose provisions the different government bodies, particularly the Bureau of Animal Industry-Animal Welfare Division, are supposed to implement properly. CAW defines what cruelty is while RA 8485 is the benchmark.
1. Philippine Veterinary Medical Association
2. Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines (VPAP)
3. Philippine Animal Hospital Association (PA HA)
4. Philippine College of Canine Practitioners (PCCP)
5. Philippine Society of Animal Science (PSAS)
6. Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG)
7. Department of Education (DepEd)
8. Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) of the Department of
9. Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau (PAWB) of the
Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)
10. National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS)
11. Philippine Society of Swine Practitioners (PSSP)
12. Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS)
13. Philippine Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (PSPCA)
Dr. Enrique T. Carlos is CAW Chairman. firstname.lastname@example.org
It is very important to note that only two of CAW's constituents voted against Tambucho Gassing --- PAWS with the PSPCA following suit. It is equally important to stress that the sitting representatives of these organizations approved of Tambucho Gassing, not their rank and file members. We should seriously doubt that all Filipino veterinarians approve of Tambucho Gassing.
It has been put forward by some members of CAW that it costs approximately P200 to euthanize a healthy, medium to large sized dog using the preferred drug, Euthal. It's sodium pentobarbital for the chemistry wonks among you. Two hundred Philippine pesos roughly equates to $4 U.S. That's too high a price by CAW's standard.
However, less Euthal is required when the condemned animal measures from small to medium as most Philippine dogs are, and the cost of Euthal goes even lower when purchased in bulk by veterinarians and city pounds.
Tambucho Gassing, even if it were free of cost, is still unacceptable as a form of euthanasia. And once CAW favored expediency over compassion, it ceased to be an animal welfare organization.
(1) We ask the Secretary of Agriculture, Processo J. Alcala, to recognize that the revision of AO21 is mired in contradiction, that it legitimizes Tambucho Gassing when it is undoubtedly a form of abject animal cruelty. We ask the Secretary to rescind the revised AO21 and send it back to CAW.
(2) We ask the members of CAW to rewrite its guidelines and to reject Tambucho Gassing as a form of euthanasia. We ask CAW to accept that euthanasia defined by cost is unacceptable. We ask CAW to be most vigilant about nonconformity to its mission.
This petition will be sent to the members of CAW and to Secretary Proceso Alcala of the Department of Agriculture ( mailto:.email@example.com ). Let us start with a thousand signatures and let it grow from there. If you agree with the spirit and purpose of this petition, please comment and sign it. And then tell the world about the travesty that is AO21.
These videos will upset you, but they tell the truth. Viewer discretion is advised.
August 5, 2010
Secretary Proceso J. Alcala
Department of Agriculture
Elliptical Road, Diliman
Dear Sec. Alcala:
I humbly submit for your perusal a petition signed by more than 1,600
people from the Philippines and around the world declaring our opposition to Tambucho Gassing as a form of euthanasia as cited in the revised guidelines submitted to you by CAW earlier this year. I request that you take some time to
read the comments and feel the outrage of the global community.
Tambucho Gassing is no longer local, but has become a global issue. The
number of petitioners continues to grow. The attention of the world is not only
upon you and CAW but upon us as a people.
We respectfully implore you to rescind this revised administrative order, and instruct CAW to eliminate Tambucho Gassing as an option for euthanasia. We must do the right thing. Tambucho Gassing is simply wrong.
Philippine Animal Welfare Society
New Jersey Coordinator
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!