Under the 5199 Animal Protection Act enacted by the Turkish parliament back in 2004, municipal administrations have the primary responsibility for the welfare of homeless animals. Accordingly, all municipalities are responsible for ensuring the right to life, health and nutrition of all homeless animals that live in their area of jurisdiction. In this sense, there is no such thing as a homeless animal. Any dog or cat not owned by a private individual is considered to be owned by the relevant municipal authority under the law. Yet an overwhelming majority of municipalities in Turkey do not take these responsibilities seriously. Even worse, most of them systematically torture homeless animals.
News is currently spreading throughout the World of the barbaric treatment animals endure in Turkey , poisoned, beaten, starved, shot and mutilated. We say " enough is enough "
Therefore we request that The PRIME MINISTER of TURKEY provide the following in all of Turkeys Municipalities:
1. Better welfare for all homeless animals.,
2. Neutering of all homeless animals to be carried out by qualified veterinary surgeons at proper facilities.
3. Adequate feeding stations be set up for homeless animals .
4. That anyone found causing death, harm or distress to any animal be punished accordingly.
5. Existing N&R centers be given adequate funds to care for animals in their care.
6. Where there are no N&R facilities that they be set up forthwith.
7. To educate children of school age to respect and care for animals .
The following links some viewers may find distressing !
Van Eastern Turkey October 2008 : http://www.gencturkhaber.com/van-video-kopek-iskence-eziyet-saban-keskin.html,0aab7
Mus Eastern Turkey Febuary 2009 : http://www.iha.com.tr/haber/video/Guncel/3612-V-O-11/Vahsete-kahkaha
Istanbul Jan / Feb 2009 : http://i41.tinypic.com/34foc41.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/nffgl.jpghttp://i39.tinypic.com/23sajie.jpghttp://i44.tinypic.com/1o1ylv.jpghttp://i41.tinypic.com/5tz1w6.jpghttp://i42.tinypic.com/2e4yddv.jpghttp://i44.tinypic.com/ncf3a9.jpg
Until acts such as the above are stopped we will continue to boycott Turkeys membership into the EU.
We the undersigned respectfully ask that you enact Animal Welfare Law 5199 in all Municipalities throughout Turkey .
That anyone found not complying with Animal Welfare Law 5199 be punished accordingly under Turkish Law.