we've got signatures, help us get to 1,000 by September 17, 2011
The national Democratic Party is too weighed down with special interests money to be an effective change agent. Please sign this petition if you agree with this new progressive vision for the party.
2. Balance The Budget - over time by raising taxes on the super-rich, contain the explosion of health-care costs, end agricultural subsidies, stop corporate welfare, cut the defense budget, end the wars (another form of corporate welfare)
3. Reduce Health Care Costs - add the public option. Allow Medicare to purchase drugs. Give MEDPAC wider authority. Allow drug re-importation
4. Encourage Upward Mobility In Society - make higher education free to families that can't afford it. Fund with a financial transactions and bank tax
5. Keep Social Security Solvent For Generations - raise the ceiling on income subject to the Social Security tax to $180,000. Congress could also gradually slow the growth of benefits for middle and high earners while still allowing these benefits to rise in terms of absolute dollars and purchasing power. Lower-wage earners would receive everything they are now promised. Eliminate $4.8 trillion long-term deficit
6. End Foreclosure Crisis – begin by giving bankruptcy judges the power to order reductions in mortgage principal owed
7. End National Addiction To Oil - begin with a carbon tax to reduce consumption, increase energy efficiency and make alternative energy more cost-competitive. Revenues generated should go to reducing payroll taxes to stimulate employment
8. End Politicians Addiction To Money - enact the Fair Elections Now Act. Strictly voluntary. Matching funds. $100.00 maximum donation.
9. End The Bank Monopoly - break up the big banks and strengthen the Volker Rule
10. Never Renew Bush Tax Cuts