we've got signatures, help us get to 200,000 by January 31, 2013
To petition the Canadian government to make long term health studies mandatory before licensing synthetic chemicals, genetically modified crops and drugs.
cc/ The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, P.C., M.P.
Brooke Claxton Building, Tunney's Pasture
Postal Locator: 0906C
May 10th, 2010
Dear Prime Minister Stephen Harper,
Minister Leona Aglukkaq,
Minister Jim Prentice,
Minister Gerry Ritz,
As outlined in the Nuremberg Protocols, no human beings can be used as a test subject without their consent.
In Canada this protocol is violated everyday.
On September 7th, 2009, the American Chemical Society recorded the 50th millionth chemical substance in CAS Registry. Dr. Hideaki Chihara, former president of Japan Association for International Chemical information stated, "a novel substance is either isolated or synthesized every 2.6 seconds on average."
The U.S. National Academy of Sciences found that only 0.0001% of synthetic chemicals had sufficient toxicological profiles. Of the 2,000 studied synthetic chemicals, half have turned out to be cancer-causing. The rest are tested on us in everyday products.
The Standing Committee of European Doctors has stated, that "it has now been scientifically demonstrated that there is indeed a link between chemical products and the appearance of diseases, such as cancers, infertility, degenerative diseases of the central nervous system and allergies."
Although the scientific tools to identify carcinogenic agents have been available for over 20 years, the Canadian government has not implemented them.
This same argument can be used to address genetically modified crops. These 'novel foods' have been unleashed on an unsuspecting and uninformed public without their consent, and once again we are being used as guinea pigs.
Although studies have demonstrated health problems arising from the consumption of genetically modified foods, the Canadian government has done nothing to study the problem further. Instead they have continued to license and allow for their use.
The Canadian government has done nothing to ensure that these synthetic chemicals or genetically modified foods undergo long term health studies before being licensed. In light of this huge oversight, we, the undersigned, demand the following from the Canadian government:
1) MANDATORY LONG TERM HEALTH STUDIES (that test for chronic toxicity, carcinogenicity and reproductive and developmental toxicity) for every old and new:
a) synthetic chemical
b) genetically modified crop (novel foods) or organism
c) drug or pharmaceutical
2) These studies should be paid for entirely by the companies wishing to license these products. These studies should be performed by an independent lab, chosen by the government. These studies should be peer-reviewed and assessed by independent scientists (who have never worked for the company wishing to earn the license).
3) Long term health testing should be conducted using the Ramazzini lifespan model. This model avoids false-negative results and increases sensitivity of bioassays.
4) If negative health results are found, these new or old synthetic chemicals, genetically modified foodstuffs or drugs should not be licensed.
5) All health studies of approved synthetic chemicals, genetically modified crops or drugs should be made entirely public, free and available for download from Health Canada, Agri-Food Canada, the Food Inspection Agency and Environment Canada's web sites.
6) That the Canadian government address the problems arising from conflicts of interests permeating throughout Canadian ministries. All employees working in governmental departments must disclose and make available a complete list of past employers. There are too many individuals entering government to facilitate their past employers interests, while ignoring those of the public. This collusion of industry and government has degraded democratic processes in Canada.
7) Secure the independence of government scientists. Companies should not have any direct contact with government scientists during testing to ensure scientists' independence and protect them from pressure or intimidation.
8) The leadership (board of directors and CEO) of companies must be held criminally responsible for harm to human health that their chemicals or genetically modified organisms cause.
9) No public, taxpayer money should be allocated to genetically modifying plants, crops or animals, until long term health testing has been conducted.
If the Canadian government fails to enact laws and enforce legislation that protects our families, we will not re-elect your party, nor yourself.
We will start a campaign to send consumer products that contain cancer-causing ingredients to your offices so the Canadian government can have a better glimpse at the extent of our contamination.
We, the undersigned.
If everything looks correct, click sign now. Your signature will not be added until you click the button below.