FILE RTI APPLICATION TO THE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT & FOREST, ORISSA
1. How many Olive Ridley Sea Turtles (Olive Green Sea Turtles) have died so far since 2006-2012?
2. What are the reasons for such Mass deaths?
3. Is there any laboratory assessment being done? If yes, provide the detailed Laboratory Analysis & Assessment Report.
4. How much of the funding from 2006-2012 onwards has the Government of Orissa allocated to conserve such endangered species & how much has been invested to date?
SEND THIS TO : The Information Officer
Department of Environment & Forest
Government of Orissa Address: Plot No. A/3, Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneshwar, Odisha 751023, India
Recently thousands of Olive Ridley turtle corpses were found floating in areas around Paradip and stretches from Gahirmatha to Astaranga Sea beach. We suspect that the death of these turtles is caused by pollution related diseases, entanglement in fishing nets and by boat propellers.
We have asked the local Forest Officials for further investigation as we have witnessed such incidents for many years.
The Coastal Belt of Odisha is well known for its mass nesting of the Olive Ridley Turtles and many other Turtle species. Over the last years we have learned that they choose Gahirmathar Sea Beach as the most suitable location for the hatching of their offspring.
So we regard it as our duty to safeguard a peaceful breeding season within our area and a safe return to the deep Sea.
We deeply regret the increasing environmental degradation of this area by increased traffic of trawlers and other vessels, poor water quality and a growing industrial pollution that mixes directly with Marine water without any proper water treatment as required by Indian Environmental Norms.
-- NDTI therefore kindly requests you to assemble a joint inquiry committee for further investigation on this issue to find a permanent solution.
-- At the same time we request immediate action to protect the victims and punish the culprits who are directly and indirectly involved in this painful incident.
-- In line with this request we offer you 7 suggestions to support our common goal to stop the turtle death and the degradation of this area:
- - - Make a clear demarcation around the " Marine Protected Area of 1435 sq km , " jointly with our dedicated Volunteers,
- - - Declare this area strictly as “ No fishing zone at mouth of river Rushikulya and a 20 km radius at strategic locations” including the enforcement of this status,
- - - Install " Floating Solar lights " on the Sea surface of these specific areas for smooth traffic of trawlers and other ships (many Turtles are killed by boats),
- - - Ban the use of gill-nets that are very harmful to Sea Turtles. To advise Fishermen on using specified dimension nets.
- - - Install a water quality monitoring system for industrial waste control management
- - - Start mass environmental awareness campaigns in communities around the Protected Area.
- - - In line with these points of action “Nature Drive”, pledges a constant vigilance and readiness to serve Mother Nature.
( We pledge to all Honest members to sign the petition for the Noble cause and Make static Pressure to stop MAN MADE CAUSES FOR MASS DEATHS OF OLIVE RID LEY TURTLES ).
Keep up the great work. Look what you've accomplished!
embed this petition
onto your site or blog
Make a difference for the issues you care about while adding cool interactive
content. Your readers sign without ever leaving your site. It's simple, just choose
your widget size and color and copy the embed code to your site or blog.