we've got signatures, help us get to 1,000 by June 18, 2015
PLEASE INVITE EVERYBODY ON YOUR FRIENDS LIST TO SIGN AND SHARE!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE sign and keep sharing this petition everybody - the only time we have is NOW - we only have one thousand odd signatures - not enough to show we are serious about this! PLEASE help us prevent more cruelty in our country!
Online event to sign petition and send e-mails NOW - we have until 23 June 2014 only!
As someone strongly concerned about the wellbeing of animals I strongly oppose the proposed legalisation of Greyhound racing.
My main objections to the legalisation of Greyhound racing are as follows:
• Animal abuse
• Law enforcement will be hugely problematic
• Dog racing is not a traditional African pastime
Dog racing, including greyhound racing involves many welfare problems which are inherent in other countries and are not limited to:
• Lives of confinement, some being confined more than 20 hours per day
• Lack of or inadequate medical/veterinary attention and treatment.
• Serious injuries which include broken legs, paralysis, head trauma and death from cardiac arrest
• Continual breeding: - South Africa already having an overpopulation of dogs
• Potential inhumane disposal of unsuitable, injured or “retired” dogs
• Cruel and inhumane training methods, in some instances live animals are used
• 50% of greyhounds are “disposed of” before they even reach the tracks.
• Drugging of the dogs to hide injuries or to enhance performance
• Excess dogs will be contributing to illegal hunting and poaching of our wildlife
Animals are already widely abused in South Africa and there are very limited resources for the protection of these animals and the funding of animal welfare organisations.
Dog racing remains illegal in many countries around the world for various reasons, including the widespread abuse involved in this activity.
I strongly urge you to uphold the ban on dog racing in South Africa.
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!