we've got signatures, help us get to 2,000 by January 10, 2014
This Petition is for the purpose of demanding immediate changes in the Manchester and Coffee County Animal Shelters for the humane treatment of the animals and to save more animals’ lives.
Dear Mayor Lonnie Norman and Mayor David Pennington,
We, the undersigned, are concerned about the welfare of the Manchester and Coffee County Animal Shelters’ animals. Furthermore, we are informed, and thereon believe the following and advocate as follows:
1. We demand that these facilities engage in modern shelter practices including focusing on adopting instead of killing adoptable animals.
2. Asserting our First Amendment rights as citizens and as taxpayers, we demand that volunteers be allowed in the shelters in order to photograph the animals with the goal of finding homes and rescues for them.
3. We demand that volunteers be allowed in the shelters in order to have a reasonable opportunity to network the shelter animals with the goal of finding homes and rescues for them.
4. We demand that volunteers be allowed in the shelters in order to accommodate and facilitate the adoption or rescue of the shelter animals.
5. We demand that volunteers be allowed in the shelters in order to provide bedding, comfort items, socialization, and temperament assessment to the animals.
6. We demand that the shelters immediately stop the practice of killing animals when there are open kennels and available space for them to he held for possible rescue or re-homing.
7. We demand that the shelters immediately seek veterinary care, not euthanization, for injured or ill animals in the shelter.
8. We demand that the shelter give appropriate vaccinations and dewormer to dogs within 24 hours of intake.
9. We demand that animals with special needs, such as elderly, pregnant or puppies under the approximate age of six months, be housed in separate areas that are suitable to their health and welfare needs.
10. We demand that the Animal Control Officers immediately stop the cruel and unsanitary practice of spraying the kennels with high-pressure water, which covers the dogs with water, putting them at risk of hypothermia and spreading fecal matter onto them.
11. We demand that the shelter provide clean, environmentally controlled space for the animals, including bedding or beds for them to lie on instead of lying on concrete.
12. We demand that the shelters join PetFinders and list each animal on the website within 24 hours of intake.
13. We demand that the shelters scan every animal taken into the shelter, and attempt to locate the owners of any dog that has a microchip.
14. We demand that every animal be available for networking unless it is involved in a court case.
15. We demand that the date of death for an animal be posted for at least 48 hours before they are killed, giving owners time to claim their family pet and volunteers time to attempt to find a home or rescue for the animal.
16. We demand that the shelters cease the practice of killing animals for overcrowding when they are aware that room with be made within 24 hours due to the volunteers’ re-homing efforts.
17. We demand that the shelters cease the practice of killing animals for overcrowding when they are aware that the animal has interest and either an adopter, foster or rescue committed to saving that animal with 48 hours.
18. We demand that the shelter have set hours each day, including Saturdays, in which the public and volunteers may come to view the animals, adopt the animals or rescue the animals.
19. We demand that the shelters keep accurate records of every dog taken into the shelters, from their intake through their disposition.
If everything looks correct, click sign now. Your signature will not be added until you click the button below.