Charlie is a 1.6 year old American Staffordshire Terrier puppy who was in an un-leashed dog area of San Francisco's Crissy Field.
While Charlie and his owner were enjoying their right to the unleashed pet area, a park police horse came into their area.
Charlie a sweet loving domestic animal was spooked by the horse, having never seen one before.
Charlie bit the horse after some barking and after the Park Police yelled "Get 'em!", causing some light injury. The mounted park police man has been promoted and the horse has already returned to service.
The Park Police issued statements at the Dangerous and Vicious dog hearing that they want Charlie euthanized or put to sleep on Tuesday August 28th, 2012.
Animal control Hearing Officer John Denny has agreed with the Park Police in a hearing and has scheduled Charlie to be killed. Officer Denny had already released Charlie to me for several weeks while we waited for the hearing. He said not to worry. Charlie has no history of aggression. He also said that I didn't need an attorney.
The dog owner and many thousands of people believe that it wasn't the owner or the dog at fault, that Park Police entered an area designated for off-leash animals.
Charlie currently has won a Stay and a Temporary restraining order until November 27th, 2012.
City Attorney Margaret Baumgartner has refused any offers to release Charlie or spare his life.
You can help by doing the following:
1. Offering a legal donation of $1.00 (one dollar) at the bottom of this message.
2. Contact your local board of supervisors. http://www.sfbos.org/meeting.aspx?page=2315
3. If you can't attend meetings, then you should call each board of supervisor and tell them that you wish to return Charlie to his owner and settle this case. http://www.sfbos.org/index.aspx?page=1616
4. Contact the San Francisco City Attorney's Office. Margaret Baumgartner Office of the City Attorney City Hall, Room 234 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place San Francisco, CA 94102-4682. email@example.com By Telephone (415) 554-4700 phone By Fax (415) 554-4745 fax By TTY (415) 554-6770.
5. or by forwarding this information to helpful resources
Please help save Charlie and become a part of this passionate and life sparing community.
Below are links, videos, and news articles to help you understand what is happening.
Help Save Charlie:
Additional commentary from animal lover Cindy Marabito:
The latest commentary from Cindy Mirabito at the San Francisco Examiner:
Initial report and story posted by Park Police:
My response and my side of the story:
The later more complete story in the SF Examiner Newspaper:
After the Animal Control Hearing who have decided to euthanize Charlie:
The News Story on KTVU Channel 2 The 10 O'Clock News:
Help Save Charlie
415 559 3037
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!