The illegal destruction of the Paradise Forests in Indonesia is threatening the habitat of the critically endangered orangutan. The main threat to the orangutan is the destruction of primary forest by the commercial palm oil industry and, secondarily, the exotic pet-trade.
The palm oil industry is highly detrimental to the Paradise Forests of Indonesia. Recent estimates indicate that at the present rate of destruction, the orangutan will be extinct in twenty years time. At least fifty orangutans die each week as a result of the palm oil industry - animals can die slowly from the loss of habitat resources, but they are also slaughtered by a plethora of weapons, including guns, machetes, wooden stakes and even fire - a death that is gruesome, immoral and completely unjustifiable.
The methods of land-clearing for palm oil plantations also contribute to global warming as large amounts of methane are released.
Environmental injustice is yet another problem that the palm oil industry perpetuates. Indigenous people and local communities are forced to surrender their land - often without consent or fair compensation.
Although the extinction of the orangutan is a distinct and not too distant possibility, the outlook does not have to be so bleak:
- Vote when you buy: boycott products that contain palm oil.
- Write a letter: let your supermarkets and politicians know that you do not support the massacre of one of our closest living relatives.
- Incite/sign a petition/petitions: GLOBAL PUBLIC PRESSURE IS CRUCIAL!
- Please join The Palm Oil Action Group: this group is invaluable in helping to solve the plight of the orangutan. For more information, please go to: www.palmoilaction.org.au
- Please also join my Facebook Page: Wild at Heart Conservation Society, which is dedicated to conservation and animal welfare.
Finally, please add your name to this petition. In doing so, you are helping to ensure the survival of this majestic species - extinction is permanent! Thank you!
Wild at Heart Conservation Society
Total number of signatures: 11,939.
(Petition instigated by Alice Dickman [Director and Founder] and was active from: 04 July 2010 - 04 July 2011).
Wild at Heart Conservation Society Incorporated is a not-for-profit charity that is based in Sydney, Australia. Founded in October 2010, we are a united group of individuals who are genuinely concerned about the future preservation and well-being of our native flora and fauna. Our vision is to protect native wildlife and slow the loss of biodiversity.
We, the undersigned, are concerned about the palm oil industry and its irreversible destruction of native wildlife in the Paradise Forests of Indonesia. All products that contain palm oil or palm oil derivatives must be properly labeled and mandated by law in Australia.
(Some background information):
Studies show that the palm oil industry has highly detrimental effects on the magnificent Paradise Forests of Indonesia, which provide habitat to critically endangered species, such as orangutans, rhinos and Sumatran tigers.
Recent estimates indicate that at the present rate of destruction, the orangutan will be extinct in twenty years time. At least fifty orangutans die each week as a result of the palm oil industry. Many are slaughtered with weapons, including guns, machetes, wooden stakes and even fire - a death that is immoral, gruesome and completely unjustifiable.
The following considerations must be taken into account if we are to save our closest living relatives and other critically endangered species:
- Give no further concessions to palm oil companies to clear High Conservation Value Forest and ensure that policing is strong.
- Ensure that, when growing crops, the palm oil industry uses land that is already degraded.
- Remove plantations from national parks.
- Restore peatlands, which have been drained and degraded.
- Recognise the customary rights of local Indigenous people.
- Ensure that members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) maintain the integrity of their aims and objectives.
The palm oil industry is responsible for the extreme environmental degradation of the Paradise Forests and the vulnerable species that inhabit it. Extinction is permanent, and it is the responsibility of Australia and Indonesia to ensure that we do not lose any of these majestic animals.
Just under 12,000 people support the aforementioned motions put forward in this petition by Wild at Heart Conservation Society.
Thank you for taking the time to consider this petition. Please take action on this important problem!
Ms Alice Dickman
Wild at Heart Conservation Society Inc.
(Director and Founder)
you have the power to create change.
Start sharing and watch your impact grow
we signed: Protect the Orangutan and the Paradise Forests of Indonesia
Keep up the great work. Look what you've accomplished!
embed this petition onto your site or blog
Make a difference for the issues you care about while adding cool interactive
content. Your readers sign without ever leaving your site. It's simple, just choose
your widget size and color and copy the embed code to your site or blog.