Sign this petition to end the suffering and misery of the animals in the Piatra Neamt zoo.
- The living conditions in this zoo are poor, the „exhibited” animals are kept in small enclosures and the shelters are also small in size and narrow.
- The pavement of the shelters are made of concrete, and they are not properly heated for the tropical species, all animals suffer from cold (Piatra Neamt is one of the coldest cities, located near the „coldness pole” of Romania).
- There is barely any vegetation in the cages even though the zoo is located near a mountain area and the park is properly arranged for the visitors. The birds do not have a pool to swim, but a basin.
- The bear enclosure is so little that it hardly fits the standards, it is improper for such an animal which has almost no space to roam free.
- We do not know how the animals are fed, but they surely accept food from the visitors.
Years ago there was a lion in the zoo whose roars of pain were heard throught the entire city. He was allegedly removed and sent to a shelter in Africa, but his real fate is not known. Now the roars are left for a donkey who is criying for help at the fence whenever someone passes by.
- Initially the entire hill at the feet of which the park is lying was intended for the zoo, but the city administration never materialized the plans.
- The motto in front of the garden is offending and shows the outdated mentality of the local administration: „it was difficult, but we conquered nature”. Even though the managment of the zoo was given to a private company no effort to improve the comfort of the animals is visible.
We demand stricter regulations and urge the authorities to find solutions to provide better and more comfortable living conditions for the „exhibited” animals. We demand that the zoo follows European standards or be closed because it isn’t really bringing any profit to the local budget.
The local mayor is not an approchable person. We hope that the president and minister which will be elected this year will intervene in this matter.
Find more pictures here: