- Help prevent alternate side of the street parking in our neighborhood.
There is currently a petition to start alternate side parking in Hunters Point which needs to be stopped dead in its tracks. Alternate side parking will only make a bad situation worse.
- It is grossly counter-productive, despite people sitting in the cars waiting for the turnover on their cellphones or laptops, while countless working hours are lost.
- It is a source of severe pollution with thousands of vehicles idling to run their A/C in the summer and heaters in the winter while drivers wait out the period, adding voluminous numbers to our carbon footprint.
- It is enormously inconvenient, impossible even, for some drivers to be available to move their vehicles because they are ususally at their workplaces.
- Our street are generally not so dirty. The recent spike in litter, debris and dirt on our streets is largely due to the intense amount of construction everywhere.
- Homeowners are actually responsible for keeping their property fronts tidy, as are business owners and both are subject to hefty Sanitation fines.
- Sanitation sweepers are only moderately successful in cleaning, at best. Folks with a good broom do far better.
- The double parking that takes place in much of the City to allow for sweeping hours is dangerous, especially given the growth of bike lanes everywhere. It creates a false sense of safety having a two car barrier and may encourage people, especially young children to make a mistaken dash across the street.
- We do not need added anxiety in our lives. Let us fight this together.
Obviously, something needs to be done as our neighborhood has grown so quickly. Why not do something beneficial right now, and for the future, and fight for a Municipal Parking Lot with plentiful, affordable parking.