we've got signatures, help us get to 50,000 by December 31, 2012
This is an emergency petition with short date - please sign and help us to quickly gather signatures and send to the EU.
Many companion animals will suffer this winter - again. They will starve, die of dehydration, freeze to death, become road accident victims, be poisoned or die in other cruel ways - abandoned on the streets, trapped in horrendous enclosures or chained and neglected - ESDAW website and facebook
After much pressure from citizens and organizations, the EU has finally realized that something must be done for all those millions of companion animals suffering in the EU and Europe.
But the animals need help NOW - without delay, - therefore we now require action from the EU, that the framework is instituted in EU regulations and put into force immediately
The EU framework:
European Parliament resolution of 4 July 2012 on the establishment of an EU legal framework for the protection of pets and stray animal - link
The European Parliament ,
– having regard to the large number of petitions from EU citizens requesting the establishment of an EU legal framework for the protection of pets and stray animals (1613/2010, 1274/2011, 1321/2011, 1377/2011, 1412/2011 and others),
– having regard to the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals (CETS No 125),
– having regard to Rule 202(2) of its Rules of Procedure,
A. whereas Article 13 of the TFEU stipulates that, since animals are sentient beings, the Union and the Member States must pay full regard to their welfare requirements;
B. whereas there is no EU legislation for the protection of pets and stray animals, despite the fact that the EU's pet population is estimated at over one hundred million;
C. whereas the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals has not yet been signed by all Member States;
D. whereas pets and stray animals are victims of mistreatment and cruelty in many Members States, and whereas the petitioners mainly refer to Member States in southern and eastern Europe;
1. Calls on the European Union and the Member States to ratify the European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals and to transpose its provisions into national legal systems;
2. Calls on the Commission to put forward an EU legal framework for the protection of pets and stray animals, including:
- rules for the identification and registration of animals,
- stray animal management strategies, including vaccination and sterilisation programmes,
- measures to promote responsible ownership,
- the prohibition of unlicensed kennels and shelters,
- the prohibition of the killing of stray animals without medical indication,
- information and educational programs in schools on animal welfare,
- severe sanctions to be imposed on any Member State which fails to comply with the rules;
3. Instructs its President to forward this resolution to the Council and the Commission.
We require action from the EU Commission and the Council of Europe - that the framework is instituted in EU regulations and put into force immediately and to ensure that the Treaties are followed in Europe - thousands of animals are suffering and dying every day awaiting your help - act now!
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!