we've got signatures,
help us get to 1,000
by January 29, 2014
The purpose of this petition is to be the voice for our children who are daily dealing with bullying, cyber-bullying, violence and threats from their peers, and living in fear what the next day will hold.
The Dignity for all Students Act outlines what is and isn't acceptable behavior amongst our school age children, however, where enforcement is concerned, this policy is seriously lacking. As is the fact that there are not counselling services for the victim set in place, as well as for the offender.
A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY, needs to be set in place in every school, in every district. First time offenders should not receive the customary "slap on the wrist" approach. Bullying leads to poor grades, increased absences, low self-esteem and self worth and in many cases suicide, homocide and rape.
* It is estimated that 160,000 children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students. Source: National Education Association.
* The attempted suicide rate for high school students has risen from 6.3% to 7.8% in the last three years.
* 282,000 students are physically attacked in secondary schools each month.
* Suicide rates among 10 to 14-year-olds have grown more than 50 percent over the last three decades. SourceThe American Association of Suicidology, AAS
* Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it. Source Bullyingstatistics.org
* Every 7 minutes a child is bullied. Source stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov
you have the power to create change.
Start sharing and watch your impact grow
we signed: Mandatory Enforcement Of Dignity for all Students Act with ZERO TOLERANCE CLAUSE
Keep up the great work. Look what you've accomplished!
embed this petition onto your site or blog
Make a difference for the issues you care about while adding cool interactive
content. Your readers sign without ever leaving your site. It's simple, just choose
your widget size and color and copy the embed code to your site or blog.