The reports from Amnesty's team in the Central African Republic (CAR) are terrifying as the attacks against Muslims continue.
Thousands have been killed. More than 700,000 people have been forced to flee the country. Roads are littered with rotting corpses. Babies as young as seven months old have been slaughtered. Entire families have been burned to death.
This is the horror that tens of thousands of Muslims are experiencing across the CAR right now. They are at risk of losing their lives in the coming days and weeks -- unless the rest of the world does something.
Please act now. Join Amnesty International in demanding that the United States uses its influence to get a strong contingent of UN peacekeepers in the Central African Republic.
Dear President Obama,
In your capacity of permanent member of the UN Security Council, I call on you to exert your maximum influence to:
- Ensure that, in accordance with the report of the UN Secretary-General, a UN peacekeeping force is authorized and deployed as quickly as possible in all parts of the Central African Republic (CAR). The force should have a robust mandate to protect civilians, and should include human rights monitoring and reporting components, as well as rule of law components, which have sufficient resources and civilian expertise;
- Ensure the current peacekeeping forces present in CAR (MISCA and Sangaris) are deployed in sufficient numbers and have all the necessary resources, and are utilized in the most effective and robust manner, in particular, positioned in areas where civilians are most in need of protection;
- Ensure the swift deployment of international police units, to support and build the capacity of remaining CAR police forces;
- Ensure that humanitarian assistance urgently reaches refugees and internally displaced persons in need, and
- Ensure that the arms embargo from the UN Security Council is enforced to prevent the proliferation of arms and weapons in the country.
[Your comments here]
[Your name here]