Oppose Racist and Sexist Harassment and Remove Sherman Boyson
- by: Ronald Cruz
- target: Robert Birgeneau, Chancellor, University of California-Berkeley
This petition demands that UC-Berkeley undergraduate advisor Sherman Boyson no longer is in a position of power over students. He employed racist and sexist harassment against sophomore Erika Williams, calling her a "b----" and a "n-----" in Sept and Oct 2005.
- In September and October 2005, Sherman Boyson, the undergraduate advisor of UC-Berkeley’s School of Social Welfare, employed racist and sexist harassment and intimidation against sophomore Erika Williams, calling her a "b----" and a "n-----" repeatedly.
- Such gross racism and sexism poisons the campus community and prevents minority and women students from participating equally in campus life. No one who practices such blatant discrimination should be in a position to exercise power over students’ educational careers, particularly those of minority and women students.
- Other universities have recognized that calling a person the N-word is never justified. In 1993, when Central Michigan University's head basketball coach, Keith Dambrot, used the N-word in the locker room, he was dismissed by the university. In April 2005, when the University of Oklahoma's head baseball coach, Larry Cochell, used the N-word in a private conversation with an ESPN reporter, he was dismissed.
- So long as a person who practices gross racism and discrimination is protected by this administration, UC-Berkeley is defending racism and sending a "Not Welcome" message to underrepresented minority students at Cal and across this state.
- If Chancellor Robert Birgeneau does not remove Boyson, then his stated commitments to address hostile climate and increase underrepresented minority student enrollment do not have any real meaning.
THEREFORE, WE THE UNDERSIGNED:
- Condemn the racist and sexist harassment and intimidation practiced by Sherman Boyson against Erika Williams. Such gross racism, sexism, and discrimination have no place at UC-Berkeley.
- Call on UC-Berkeley to remove Sherman Boyson from his position as undergraduate advisor at the School of Social Welfare to protect the equal educational opportunities of minority and women students at UCB.