New Year's is a time for making resolutions and tackling tough issues, so there's no better time to talk about the massive impact human population growth and overconsumption are having on the survival prospects of other species.
Polar bears are on thin ice. Sea turtles are in hot water. Lesser-known creatures like hellbenders are threatened too -- without most people even knowing what they are. All of these animals, and countless others, face incredible pressures from the more than 7 billion people on the planet.
Make it your New Year's resolution this year to help protect our world. Join us in taking the pledge for a wildlife-friendly 2014; then share this with your friends and family.
I pledge to do my part to stem spiraling human population growth and overconsumption by:
- Buying less -- Avoid the carbon cost of shopping. Why not donate instead?
- Driving less -- The climate's not getting any cooler.
- Meating less -- Eat Earth-friendly, one meatless meal at a time.
- Humping smarter -- Safe sex saves species. EndangeredSpeciesCondoms.com
- Talking population -- Wildlife are depending on us to make the connection between human population growth and the extinction crisis.