Trafficking affects thousands of women and men in Russia. Women are trafficked into prostitution and men work long hours in agriculture.
Dear Minister Gryzlov
I am writing to express my concern at the problem of human trafficking in Russia. Thousands of women, men and children are trafficked from Russia each year. Russia is also a transit and destination country for trafficking. I am particularly concerned that the Russian Government is not prioritizing the issue. I urge you to use all your power to:
* Introduce as a priority legislation to define and prohibit trafficking for all forms of exploitation and set out clear standards for the protection of trafficked person. Ensure that the definition and protection measures are consistent with the UN Protocol on Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children.
* Ensure this legislation is fully implemented and that all law enforcement officials who may come into contact with trafficking cases receive comprehensive human rights training specifically on trafficking issues and violence against women.
* Make funds available for accommodation, medical, psychological and legal support and assistance to victims of trafficking - both Russian nationals who return home and foreign nationals who are trafficked to Russia - and to consult with national NGOs on the best way to deliver these services.
* Request assistance from international governmental institutions such as the UN, ILO, IOM, OSCE to:
- introduce a national programme to raise awareness about trafficking
- develop a comprehensive witness protection law
- undertake a detailed mapping exercise to determine the full extent of trafficking within Russia
Many thanks for your consideration and attention to this important issue. I look forward to receiving a response from you soon.
Keep up the great work. Look what you've accomplished!
grab this widget
for your site or blog
Make a difference for the issues you care about while adding cool interactive
content. Your readers sign without ever leaving your site. It's simple, just choose
your widget size and color and copy the embed code to your site or blog.