IMPORTANT UPDATE: A HUGE thanks to those of you who signed our Petition, made personal calls and wrote letters to the CEO, Robert Restrepo, Jr. Because of YOU, State Auto has made the decision to discontinue their relationship with the Buckeye Dog Auction effective June 30, 2007!
Since 2003, the Buckeye Dog Auction in Millersburg, OH has grown into anything but run-of-the-mill. Most (if not all) breeders who participate in this event are raising large numbers of puppies for profit in mills - mass dog breeding establishments with living conditions characterized by overcrowding, filth, and lack of food, water, shelter and little to no veterinary care. Many of these puppies and adult dogs are hauled to the auction in tractor trailers like domestic livestock and some breeds are able to fetch more than a few thousand dollars, while others can net hundreds of dollars for the seller.
By signing this petition, you are asking Robert Restrepo, Jr., Chairman, CEO and President of State Auto Mutual Insurance Company, to terminate the auction bond (Certificate #6913179) for this event effective immediately.
Thomas W. Sharp Assistant Vice President, Compliance The American Kennel Club (AKC) E-mail: TWS@akc.org
LIST OF BREEDERS AT THE 8/26 AUCTION:
Aaron Miller Abe L. Yoder Adrian Burkholder Albert Stutzman Albert Stutzman Ammon Buckholder Andy J. Yoder Anna Hensel Annette Newswanger Benjamin Oberholtzer Berlin Pets Country View Pets Crosco Acres Da-Le Kennel Dan and Jacob Bowman Daniel Hochstetler Daniel Kline Daniel Kline Daniel Schlabach David D. Yoder David Hershberger David M. Miller Dennis Hershberger Eli J. Miller Eli J. Yoder Eli N. Hershberger Emanuel M. Yoder Ervin A. Yoder Ervin J. Miller Ferman Schlabach Glenda Thompson Gloria Whitmer Harold Neuhart Harvey Burkholder Harvey Yoder Henry E. Mast Jacob Swartzentruber James Mullet Jason Schlabach J-Mar Kennel Joe Yoder John Garman John Garman John Oren Miller, Jr. Joseph L. Hershberger Joseph Miller Katie A. Yoder Leroy A. Troyer Levi A. Miller Levi D. Troyer Levi J. Miller Marlin A,. Troyer Marvin A. Graber Matthew Hostetler Mervin Raber Michelle Picknell Mose A. Schlabach Mose Beachy Mose Hershberger Nelson Hershberger Owen R. Hershberger Paul E. Yoder Phillip Geiser Pine Grove Kennel PPF Farms Raber's Kennel Reuben K. Swarey Reuben L. Troyer Reuben Schlabach Reuben's Swarztentruber Robert Brady Robert Coblentz Robert M. Yoder Roman R. Miller Rondell Lepley Roy A., Yoder Roy D. Yoder Samuel Miller Steven H. Yoder Steven R. Troyer Vernon E., Yoder Vernon Weaver Walk's Pups Wayne Miller
Dear Mr. Restrep, Jr.:
We are signing this Petition as concerned citizens who have recently learned of your company’s business relationship with Ervin Raber, Manager of the Buckeye Dog Auction. As proud owners and lovers of companion pets, we respectfully request that you terminate the auction bond issued for this event due to the following:
1. Since 2004, the Buckeye Dog Auction in Millersburg, OH has grown into anything but run of the mill. The majority of breeders from Holmes, Tuscarawas and Coshocton counties who participate in this event are raising large numbers of puppies for profit in mills - mass dog breeding establishments with living conditions characterized by overcrowding, filth, and lack of food, water and little to no veterinary care. Many of these puppies and adult dogs are hauled to the auction in tractor trailers (which is against USDA regulations), and some breeds are able to fetch more than a few thousand dollars, while others can net hundreds of dollars for the seller.
2. In November 2005, Mr. Raber was quoted as saying to the New Philadelphia Times Reporter, “I am currently the president of the Ohio Pro Dog Breeders Assn. and in our opinion there is no such thing as a puppy mill." Sadly, there is much compelling evidence to prove otherwise. In an undercover investigation conducted by Companion Animal Protection Society (CAPS), many of the licensed dog breeding and brokering facilities represented at the Buckeye Dog Auction were found to be in clear violation of USDA regulations - http://www.caps-web.org/240x192x240_ohio_pennsylvania.php.
3. Dog auctions are illegal in Pennsylvania, so many of those state’s mill breeders travel two hours west to Holmes County, where the Buckeye Dog Auction is legal. In May 2006, undercover investigations conducted by WTAE-TV Channel 4 Action News reporter Sheldon Ingram, revealed evidence that dogs brought to this sale are “fed and bred” – they eat and relieve themselves in the same 2-by-2-foot cage for about eight years until their breeding days are done. - http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9161328/detail.html.
4. In August 2006, Mose Hershberger, a breeder from Clark Township who annually participates in the Buckeye Dog Auction, was quoted as saying to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, "Dogs are livestock.” Sadly, it is because of this mindset that Ohio is quickly gaining the reputation as the puppy mill capital of the Midwest.
5. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) strongly opposes the sale, through pet shops and similar outlets, of puppies and dogs from mass-breeding establishments such as those represented at the Buckeye Dog Auction. Unfortunately, a dog's lifespan is often longer than a consumer's desire to maintain their "product." As a result, millions of dogs are sent to animal shelters every year, where roughly half will be euthanized. The HSUS estimates that one in four of the dogs that enter U.S. animal shelters is purebred - http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/get_the_facts_on_puppy_mills/index.html
Mr. Restrepo, it is our belief that dogs offer many gifts to the human race, the greatest of which is serving as a companion to people who have experienced a debilitating accident or injury.
The next Buckeye Dog Auction is scheduled for Saturday, August 26, 2006 with additional auctions scheduled for October 7, 2006 and November 25, 2006.
As Forbes magazine’s choice as the 2006 “Best Managed” Insurance company in America, please show that you are against the business practices of these breeders by canceling coverage for this event effective immediately. .
you have the power to create change.
Start sharing and watch your impact grow
we signed: Justice for Dogs Sold during the Buckeye Dog Auction
Justice for Dogs Sold during the Buckeye Dog Auction
help us make this change happen
share this petition with your network & friends
thank you for sharing
your message has been sent
THIS URGENT ACTION ALSO NEEDS YOUR HELP!
embed this petition onto your site or blog
Make a difference for the issues you care about while adding cool interactive
content. Your readers sign without ever leaving your site. It's simple, just choose
your widget size and color and copy the embed code to your site or blog.