We urge the Government of Alberta to find the funding to sustain our universities, especially the province's flagship university, the University of Alberta. Our universities are a public good in which Albertans invest in the future of Alberta, and they must be funded from the public purse. We also urge the Government to prevent any further increases to student tuition fees. Post-secondary education must be accessible to all.
The "Background & Rationale" for the Petition is available at Arts Squared:
We hope all Albertans will join all members of the University of Alberta -- faculty, students, postdoctoral scholars, contract academic staff, support staff, and administrators -- in signing this petition. And we welcome the support of everyone around the planet who believes in the principles of the public university and accessible post-secondary education for all.
We therefore ask all Albertans to join us in signing the following petition.
We the undersigned urge the Government of Alberta to:
· Increase the Campus Alberta Grant by at least 4% (the minimum that permits the University of Alberta to “break even”) so that the University of Alberta will receive from the public purse the funds necessary to sustain it.
· Find one-time funds for the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 operating budgets for the Faculty of Arts at the University of Alberta so that no support staff need be laid off and faculty who retire this year and next are replaced.
· Direct the Board of Governors, which oversees the University’s budgets, to ensure that a higher percentage of “per capita” grants to the University based on student enrollment is directed to the operating budgets of each Faculty every year.
· Review its own regulatory requirements so that the University’s Administration can be operated with greater efficiency and at less cost. This will permit a higher percentage of funds given to the University to go towards the core activities of the University, and the teaching of our students in particular.
· Refuse further increases to student tuition fees for students from Alberta and increase the funding to bursaries for which students may apply. Currently, Alberta has the lowest post-secondary attendance rate of any province in Canada. This rate will become lower still if post-secondary education is made increasingly inaccessible. If the University is truly to facilitate the “uplifting of the whole people,” we must invest in the current generation of students in Alberta, and enable them to pursue their educations without taking on debt. Our investment in them is an investment in the future of Alberta.
you have the power to create change.
Start sharing and watch your impact grow
we signed: Sustain the University of Alberta & Freeze Tuition Fees
Keep up the great work. Look what you've accomplished!
embed this petition onto your site or blog
Make a difference for the issues you care about while adding cool interactive
content. Your readers sign without ever leaving your site. It's simple, just choose
your widget size and color and copy the embed code to your site or blog.