- The continuing practice of shark finning, which is the inhumane practice of removing the fins and discarding the remainder of the shark back into the sea, is having a devastating effect on shark species around the world.
- The practice of shark finning results in an estimated 73 million sharks a year being killed for their fins alone and that over one-third of all shark species are threatened with extinction as a result of shark finning.
- Apex predators such as sharks play a critical role in maintaining healthy, balanced ecosystems; something that is necessary for the long term survival of our own species.
- Shark fins have no significant nutritional value and are considered unhealthy for human consumption due to the accumulation of high levels of mercury and other toxins in fins and flesh.
- Measures must be taken to stop the global practice of shark finning and to ensure the responsible conservation and management of sharks.
Therefore, we the undersigned call upon Mayor Dean Fortin and Council to ban the possession, sale and consumption of shark fins in Victoria, British Columbia.Please visit Fin Free Victoria on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-Free-Victoria/263367703732989