We, the undersigned, oppose the proposed plan to convert four of the eight precincts for the Nassau County Police Department to Community Policing Centers for the following reasons:
· Increased response time for many patrols due to lack of proximity to the precinct building. The increased distance officers must travel to and from the precinct will increase time out of service for patrol cars thus affecting public safety.
· Reduction in supervision by increasing the number of patrols in each of the new precincts without in turn increasing supervision will affect the quality of policing
· Decreased ability for residents, local officials, schools and civic associations to communicate with the police department as the requests for administrative staff will be double when “super precincts” are created.
· Lack of evidence of REAL cost savings as a result of the plan. Current proposed savings are in several aspects based on assumptions and therefore do not guarantee savings.
· Lack of information as to the exact details relating to the proposed plan. The Nassau County Legislature must not vote on this plan without solid and comprehensive details.
This plan consists of overly drastic measures that will impact public safety and the plan should not be approved or implemented. Further careful examination of the Police Department is necessary in order to promote efficiency and find cost savings that will not put our residents’ safety at risk.
By signing, you accept Care2's Terms of Service.
You can unsub at any time here.
Having problems signing this? Let us know.