No More Blood Spilled in Congo!
- by: UgandaGenocide.info
- recipient: UN Secretary General Ban ki Moon, President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden
Sign PetitionSign Petition
Urge Uganda to Return to Peace!
As peace-loving people, we strongly denounce the return to war by the government of Uganda, which, along with the armies of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army, attacked the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) on December 14, 2008 in Garamba Forest, DRC.
We are especially concerned for civilians in the DRC, including captive women and children with the LRA, who are now at greater risk following the offensive.
The DRC is already experiencing a devastating crisis in which two million people have been displaced. Provoking the LRA will only create more war in the Great Lakes region--potentially and disastrously--spilling back into northern Uganda.
We ask that you denounce the Bush Administration's support for the Garamba strike and continue to advocate for a peaceful solution to the Ugandan conflict, using all diplomatic means to persuade Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni to:
1. Resume resolution of the conflict through peaceful means and return to the negotiating table.
2. Honor the provisions of the Juba peace agreement, which have been signed thus far.
3. Recall Ugandan troops from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
4. Appeal to the LRA that in spite of the strikes, the LRA's response should not be to resume attacks on the civilian population.