Think you're living green? Put yourself to the test!
Join YERT in their first and most comprehensive challenge: During one month, produce no more garbage than what you can fit into ONE SHOEBOX. Can you handle it??
- Find a used shoebox. Just ONE shoebox.
- Put garbage into that shoebox as you create it
- Recyclable items go in the shoebox
- Compostables go into a separate compost bin
- Toilet paper goes in the toilet
- Extra food and beverages (including water) at mealtime should be stored and eaten later. Compost it ONLY if it goes bad.
- Junk mail counts as garbage unless you compost the appropriate kinds of paper. GreenDimes can help.
- Try the bulk bins! Buy foods and other consumables that have no wrapping.
- Cook foods from scratch! Fruits and veggies often have no wrapping.
- Get a few re-usable bags and keep them handy. We use ChicoBags.
- Get a few cloth handkerchiefs and keep them handy.
- At restaurants, ask your server to pre-emptively remove paper, toothpicks, and other potential garbage from your plate, and bring tupperware to store leftover food.
- Overall, try to generate ZERO garbage and use the shoebox ONLY if you make a mistake. You'll be amazed by the way garbage finds its way into your life...
In general, use this as an opportunity to get creative, meet new folks, and spark up conversations about your crazy challenge. Then get them to try. Then sign up for a second month. YERT is nearly done with our 6th month of this challenge and we have more fun with it every day!
Get your license to thrive at YERT.com