Respected Sirs and Madams
Subject: Organized Cruelty to Animals in the name of Animal Welfare
We wish to lodge a formal complaint against an NGO Circle of Animal Lovers and its Chairperson Mrs. Irani Mukherjee located at E-67 D.D.A. Flats, Saket, New Delhi - 110017 and funded by the Animal Welfare Board of India(AWBI) and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) under the Animal Birth Control (ABC) programme.
As per the experience of several individuals in Delhi, this NGO and its Chairperson Mrs. Irani Mukherjee are guilty of meting out cruel and inhumane treatment to animals in the name of animal welfare for several years. While this NGO draws lakhs of rupees annually from the Government funds for animal welfare, what happens in reality is the following:
1. A number of animals that are taken in by the NGO for sterilization purposes, never come back alive. They either starve to death, die during the ABC operation itself or pick up some infection from which they die a slow, agonizing and painful death.
2. If they do come back alive, they are in highly emaciated states, starved for days, panting and in a breathless condition. Many of them even have wounds that clearly show that they have been tortured and probably beaten by the staff at the shelter.
3. Majority of the dogs are never released back to the places from where they are picked up from and end up getting dislocated from their place of birth. This causes immense stress not only to the animals but also the owners of these dogs.
4. Several people have been charged money illegally for these ABC operations in complete violation of the ABC rules. The government pays this NGO to perform these ABC operations free of cost. This NGO is obviously making money on the sly by charging the public in the garb of animal welfare by asking for compulsory donations. Several times dogs are not released to the owners until the payments are made.
5. A lot of dogs that are picked up by this NGO simply disappear, never to be seen ever again. There is simply no trace of them.
6. All male dogs that are operated there develop severe scrotal oedema and probably die a horrible, painful death
7. Severely mange and scabies afflicted dogs have also been found to be sterilized upon, instead of giving attention first to their infections.
8. The food is mostly never touched by the animals. It clearly shows that obviously stale and rotten food is served. Moreover, animals do not get more than one meal a day, that too only about 300 gms per day.
9. Animals are treated merely as organ donors. Mrs. Irani Mukherjee and her workers have no real concern for the welfare of animals. Once the reproductive organs have been extracted from the helpless animal, it is merely left to fend for itself. If the animal is lucky it survives. Meanwhile, the NGO gets paid for the organs collected. Whether the animal lives or dies, there is no concern at all.
10. There is no cleanliness at these shelters. Many inspection reports have found animals lying in their own faeces and urine. Floors are caked with dog faeces which clearly show that for weeks, no cleaning is ever done. Most people cannot even approach these shelters due to the unbearable stench that emanates from inside.
11. This NGO is nothing but a cess pool of infection and is nothing short of organized cruelty and an instrument of mass extermination of innocent, helpless animals in the name of animal welfare for years.
12. The Chairperson Mrs. Irani Mukherjee and her workers take full advantage of the fact that the direct victims of their heinous crimes are dogs and other animals, who cannot speak for themselves. Hence they feel secure that their activities would never be discovered.
Since 2006, several complaints, letters-to-the-editors in newspapers, emails and signature campaigns have been sent to the Ministry of Environment and Forests, the AWBI and the MCD. Even blog sites have been opened because animal lovers are fed up with the activities of this NGO. Please visit the website http://www.dogspot.in/shocking-incident-circle-animal-lovers-new-delhi/ for getting a sense of the anguish among animal lovers of Delhi.
Please do not let these dog deaths go in vain. Just because animals cannot speak in our language does not mean that we can mete out any kind of cruel treatment to them. We sincerely hope that you would do the needful.