STOP THE UNCONTROLLED ANCHORING AND DESTRUCTION OF OUR SEABED OF POSIDONIA OCEANICA
As citizens of Formentera we are alarmed by the increasing devastation of the seabed surrounding the island.
The uncontrolled and indiscriminate anchoring on meadows of Posidonia Oceanica in the Natural Park of Ses Salines is absolutely prohibited by current legislation. But this agression occurs massively summer after summer, without the government taking action to prevent it.
Posidonia meadows were declared World Heritage by UNESCO, and help mitigate the effects of global warming. Each acre of seagrass is able to convert as much CO2 into oxygen as five hectares of the Amazon rainforest.
"Posidonia" is a synonym of crystal clear waters, sandy beaches and biodiversity. It's ensuring the preservation of the landscape, the main tourist attraction and the largest source of income for our island.
Because of all this, and exercising our duty as citizens of Formentera, we ask:
1. Tight control of anchoring boats, as well as the imposition of sanctions for offenders in accordance with current regulations.
2. The imminent completion of the proposed legislation on anchoring boats by the Consell Insular de Formentera, a project that shall ensure the full preservation of the seabed in general and in particular seagrass meadows, as well as the safety of bathers.
3. That the Balearic Government and the State comply with their duty of implementing the regulations with the endowment of the required funding.
4. The effective control of the emission of waste water into the sea.
5. That public administrations and private companies in Formentera, especially sport harbours and other businesses linked to the sea, inform and make their users aware of the patrimonial value of the seagrass and the legislation that affects it.
6. That all political parties of the island join in favour of this cause, putting aside their political differences.
If we do not stop the destruction of the seabed now, tomorrow will be too late to recover the essence that has characterized our island and its inhabitants for millennia.
Immediate Posidonia Rescue!!