Save Coney Island!
Preserve the People's Playground, Create a World-Class Amusement Destination
Coney Island is a world-renowned amusement destination
and a People's Playground for New Yorkers of all backgrounds and incomes.
Today, however, the future of Coney Island is in doubt.
The city's current rezoning plan for the neighborhood would destroy Coney Island's unique character and undermine its historic amusement function: It allows high-rise towers up to 30 stories
tall in the heart of Coney Island's amusement district. It limits the area reserved for the outdoor rides
to only a narrow strip of land
. It clears the way for chain retail
and other generic commercial uses within the amusement district. It endangers Coney Island's historic buildings
We urge the city to fix
its plan by making the following changes:
- 1) Expand the acreage for outdoor rides and amusements.
- 2) Prevent high-rise towers from invading the heart of the amusement district.
- 3) Promote small businesses and local entrepreneurs and prevent their displacement.
- 4) Protect Coney Island's historic buildings.
- 5) Create jobs for New Yorkers in the amusement industry by preserving amusement zoning.
By fixing its plan, the city can revitalize Coney Island's historic amusement district, preserving it as a playground for all New Yorkers, a world-class tourist destination and an economic engine for the Coney Island community and New York City.