In a new investigative report, Equalia reports on the consequences of current cruel practices towards chickens in a farm related to a provider of Carrefour Spain.
1. High density of chickens. Scientific advice states that disproportionate density leads to greater risk of virulent outbreaks with potential for transmission to humans.
2. Breeding of rapid-growth breeds, which leads to so-called "production" diseases such as ascites, sudden death syndrome or contact dermatitis.
3. Non-compliance with minimum standards for environmental enrichment, which prevents the development of natural behaviours.
4. Slaughter by electric bath. Birds are immersed in electrified water as a method of stunning prior to slaughter. The European Commission points out that a ban on this process is necessary because of the animal suffering involved.
5. Lack of third-party audits and public reporting.
These practices reflect the lack of interest shown by Carrefour Spain in adapting to the minimum poultry welfare requirements as the company has already done in France and Poland.
SIGN FOR CARREFOUR SPAIN TO END THIS CRUELTY NOW by assuming the animal welfare improvements in Spain established in the European Chicken Commitment.
Update #410 months ago
We have already delivered your signature to Carrefour Spain!
We are one step closer to achieving a more sustainable and safer food system for both people and animals. And when this happens, remember that you contributed to improving the welfare standards of millions of chickens.
It doesn't stop there, we want to continue to make large supermarket chains and institutions committed to animal welfare. And you can be part of it.
Find out more about our initiatives: en.equaliaong.org/victorias
Update #310 months ago
We are one step closer to getting Carrefour Spain to commit to improving the welfare of the chicken we find in their supermarkets.
We would love to count on you to raise the welfare of millions of invisible and forgotten animals. By giving whatever amount you can, you'll help us move faster in our mission to create a more sustainable food system that is better for people and animals.
Yes, I want a more sustainable food system → en.equaliaong.org/donacion-maltrato-animal
Update #211 months ago
Hello, thank you for adding your signature!
To get to know us a little better, Equalia is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the living conditions of food animals.
We work in an environment of effective altruism to select the causes that have the greatest potential for a more sustainable and safer food system. In addition, we ensure that every euro donated improves the lives of as many animals as possible.
Get to know us: https://en.equaliaong.org/conocenos
Update #111 months ago
Hello! We are closer to getting Carrefour Spain to join the European Chicken Commitment, 63,000 signatures closer!
Our mission is to improve the welfare of animals destined for consumption and we are good at it thanks to the support of people like you, who showed Carrefour the importance of ending the cruelty towards chickens.
We would love to count on you to achieve a sustainable food system with better animal welfare.Consider donating at en.equaliaong.org/donacion-maltrato-animal