Dr. Dale released his FY2011 Proposed Budget this evening (Jan. 7, 2010). IF the Board of Supervisors will increase the county transfer by $57.8 million dollars, we will stay in the budget. If this does not happen the elimination of band and string programs in the elementary schools will be realized. Eliminating a program that serves 25,013 or 85% of the available student population is not acceptable. This will, in a short time decimate our secondary school bands and orchestras.We need as many signatures on this petition as possible. We specifically need people who do not have children in the school system to sign on and leave comments as to why the school system must remain strong and why this program is so important. The Board of Supervisors did not increase the amount of last year's transfer so we must stay active.Thank you for your support.
This petition is intended to present as many of the facts as we know them at this point and to let you know that the Fairfax Arts Coalition for Education (FACE) has met, formulated an advocacy strategy, and will be sending out information to your personal emails through the Presidents of all of our organizations.
Here are some facts about our elementary band and strings program:
- This year, 25,013 students are enrolled in band and strings.
- This number represents approximately 85% of all 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students in FCPS.
- 116.8 positions are defined in the FY2011 budget as our band and strings teachers assigned to teach these students. Our elementary band and strings programs continue to grow annually.
- Positions are different than teachers since many of our teachers are part-time. The 116.8 full time positions are covered by 146 personnel.
- Last year, the Instruments for All (IFA) provided 7,111 instruments to students on free and/or reduced lunch. This year, the number is at 7,800 and continues to grow. These are students who could not afford to participate in our programs without the school system%u2019s support. Approximately 36 of our positions are hired to serve this added population.
We need your support! PLEASE BE SURE YOU SIGN, CONFIRM AND CLICK THE ORANGE BUTTON FOR YOUR SIGNATURE TO APPEAR