Stop the Greene County Solar Facility!
Hecate Energy plans to build the Greene County Solar Facility in the Town and Village of Coxsackie, NY. This project is NOT a “solar farm”. It is a major electrical power generating plant. The scale and location of this plant require a reckless consumption of valuable land. Under Article 10 of the NYS Public Service Law, a form of eminent domain, Hecate Energy can build the plant here whether we want it or not. Through this petition, we are making our strong opposition known to state-level lawmakers and agencies. Sign PetitionSign Petition
Location and scale. The plant will:
• Include 185,000 solar panels on 890 acres to be surrounded by miles of chain-link fencing topped with razor wire.
• Adjoin a 700-acre, 100-megawatt plant. In turn, these two plants will be surrounded by other rapidly proliferating plants.
• Affect the viewshed of at least 110 homes, many of which cannot be remediated with vegetative screening.
Economic effects. We expect the plant to:
• Reduce home values near the plant by as much as 50%.
• Increase property taxes as new residential construction is forced to stop
• Provide no power for local use; electricity from this plant will be sold to a company outside our area.
Environmental effects. Building this plant in an area of extensive wetlands and open fields would:
• Destroy the habitat of the endangered short-eared owl and threatened Northern Harrier
• Force wildlife such as deer, coyotes, and bears into neighboring residential communities.
• Occupy the watershed for Sleepy Hollow Lake, which supplies drinking water to the lake’s community. The use of herbicides and pesticides could contaminate the water supply.
The town is being inundated with solar plants. Given their cumulative effect, we will be losing vast quantities of irreplaceable residential and agricultural land. Coxsackie should not be sold to the highest bidder. For more information, please contact SavingGreene@gmail.com.
Saving Greene: Citizens for Sensible Solar
www.facebook.com/groups/citizens for sensible solarWWW.SAVINGGREENE.COM