Why I support Debora Scheffel for Chair of the Colorado State School Board:
1. Dr. Debora Scheffel has spent much of her time in her leadership position educating parents on current policy activity that affects our kids. She has equipped parents and community members with the knowledge required to become effective advocates for our children.
2. Dr. Scheffel has traveled around the state and lent her expert voice in various forums to inform the public about the very real concerns regarding Common Core Standards and the overuse of standardized testing practices.
3. Dr. Debora Scheffel has served on the CO State Board of Education since 2010.
4. She was elected by the people she serves, not hand selected by the existing board.
5. Dr. Debora Scheffel has earned the trust of the public that frequent the CO State School Board meetings by not dismissing parental concerns brought to the hearings.
6. She is held in high regard by the education community that she serves.
Her bio below speaks for itself:
Dr. Debora Scheffel was appointed in October, 2013, as the Dean of the School of Education, Colorado Christian University. Previous to her appointment at Colorado Christian University, she was the Dean of Research at the University of the Rockiesand the Dean of the School of Education at Jones International University. Previously, she held a tenured professorship at the University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, served as the Director of Competitive Grants and Awards/Literacy Grants and Initiatives at the Colorado Department of Education, and served as special assistant to the Commissioner of Education in Colorado.
Dr. Scheffel has an extensive background in assessment, serving as the Director of Academic Assessment at two universities, and has been a visiting scholar at the United States Air Force Academy in assessment. Her academic background is in communication sciences and disorders and special education with research interests in cognitive psychology and learning theory as related to implications for learning environments, brain-behavior relationships and learning, reading and oral language development and disabilities in children, and education reform policy.
She has worked in six states in a variety of post-secondary educational contexts, and is a published author in literacy, special education, and higher education assessment. Her professional affiliations include the International Neuropsychological Society, the International Dyslexia Association, and the Council for Exceptional Children. She was elected to the Colorado State Board of Education in November, 2010, representing the 6th Congressional District. She serves on the editorial boards of Learning Disabilities Research and Practice, Colorado Reading Council Journal (CRCJ) and Journal of the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition. Debora enjoys water and snow sports, church involvement, and spending time with family members, most of whom reside in Colorado.
- See more at: https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeboard/debora_scheffel#sthash.YpaXIDUE.dpuf
Dear CO State Board of Education,
We, the community, are hereby voicing our support of Dr. Debora Scheffel for President of the CO State School Board for the reasons mentioned in the petition.
We respectfully request that our high regard and support of your esteemed colleague shall be condeidered in the discussion and appointment of board roles.
Karin Rosarne et al