The coronavirus pandemic is wreaking havoc in our communities. We have already been facing a crisis caused by New York City government's racist displacement agenda that has targeted communities of color. Small businesses have already been shuttering or cutting workers' hours, while working people have been forced to double or triple up in homes, to deal with rising rents. Now, we are facing an even more rapid closure of small businesses and loss of jobs and hours. Many workers living paycheck to paycheck cannot afford to stay home and lose income, and living in crowded conditions makes self-quarantining impossible.
We call on everyone to join us in demanding the government not use this pandemic to further displace our small businesses and community members, and provide relief for working people. We demand the City and NY State government immediately:
1. Establish a disaster relief fund to help workers cover living expenses, regardless of their immigration status, who are laid off, have their hours cut or are otherwise affected as a result of the economic impact of COVID-19, and help workers easily obtain disaster unemployment benefits.
2. Cut small businesses' real estate tax or rent and/or provide rent relief for small businesses.
3. Establish medical facilities that can be easily accessed by patients to get tested and receive necessary treatment quickly and be quarantined if necessary, instead of self-quarantining. Provide enough protective measures for health care workers to stay safe.
4. Establish a disaster relief fund to help workers for lost income when they test positive for the COVID-19 and need to be quarantined, regardless of their immigration status.
5. Demand the President issue a Disaster Declaration to include direct economic assistance to individuals.
To get more involved, reach out to us at email@example.com