1. The security and safety should be one of the top priorities of all city governments. Weston has had a historic commitment to safety which is a testament to Weston's philosophy and reputation which makes us consistently rank as one of the safest places to live in Florida and the United States.
2. The Broward Sheriff's Office has been an integral part of Weston's consistent safety rating and peaceful living that attracts new residents, businesses and visitors alike. The Broward Sheriff's Office is an invaluable partner to our city's future, and we request not to be defunded.
3. The recent article in the Sun-Sentinel published by a group of local students does NOT accurately reflect the values of this community. Its portrayal of Weston's history and current status is wholly inaccurate. It is incumbent upon city officials to address these appalling and inaccurate statements. The reputation of this City and its welcoming history to diverse and multicultural people is at stake. The silence from city leaders is tacit approval of the published opinion. The repercussions of this silence can have long lasting effects on the reputation of this wonderful city being tarnished for future residents which can result in property value decline and loss of businesses and city revenue.
4. We do not believe that an ad-hoc committee is necessary. However, should the city convene such a committee, we request:
1. A representative of the Broward Sheriff's Office
2. A representative of local business(s)
3. A representative from the various religious institutions in the city
4. A representative from each party, Democrats, Republicans & Independents