"We will survive Lockdown, but not Knockdown"
Our original Forest Red Gum–trees in Binalong Park, Old Toongabbie need to be fully protected in Council's Masterplan.
At present the Draft plan would destroy these landmark trees, but it doesn't have to. Add your voice to Council to change the Plan now to fix this immediately. Please see Council's Plan Here
The City of Parramatta Council Meeting needs to defer the Masterplan "recommended for approval" on Monday 26 July.
The proposed Sports and playground facility upgrade is exciting, BUT it has fatal flaws that would kill at the last 3–4 original Forest Red Gums.
PETITION to COUNCIL:
1. To defer approval and to remedy the fatal flaw, by revising the Plan so as to retain the Remnant trees.
2. To re-exhibit the revised Plan with equal design quality given to protect these existing original species Trees -
- with at least 3 Safety Areas around these trees, and
- include street-edge Paperbark and Shade tree–planting, and a rain-garden strategy (Water Sensitive Urban Design).
3. Policy - noting the Plan should not increase local extinction, and not remove or compromise these trees with civil works within their root & drip-zone.
SOLUTION - See a Diagram HERE, an example of what is requested
1. Many people asked Council for more trees and shade around the sports grounds.
2. No one asked for these trees to be destroyed.
3. People did ask for these indigenous 'remnant trees' to be protected and connected. This is not yet provided for.
4. The Masterplan report did not identify or protect these trees, as a meaningful quality in an otherwise 'good design'.
REASONS TO RETAIN AS EQUAL PLAN PRIORITY
1. Mature, healthy tall shade trees, provide highly desirable landscape amenity and wildlife habitat.
2. As the Last Forest Red Gum (Eucalyptus tereticornis) these are unique original, "not-planted" specimens for the future.
3. Need to be enhanced for connection between Toongabbie Public School and ridgeline, having scientific value.
Thank you for your support and willingness to protect these future values now.