CFL LIGHT BULBS ARE SLOWLY DESTROYING THE ENVIRONMENT!

  • by: Sam FC
  • recipient: Toronto city council

CFL Light Bulbs


CFL LIGHT BULBS USE LESS ENERGY AND LAST LONGER BUT THEY ALSO CONTAIN MERCURY WHICH IS WHEN IN CONTACT WITH ANYTHING LIVING HARMFUL TO PEOPLE & THE ENVIRONMENT


THEY NEED TO BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY FOR OUR PROTECTION

THE CITY NEEDS TO MAKE IT EASY FOR CITIZENS TO DISPOSE OF THEM PROPERLY BY PROVIDING CURBSIDE PICK UP SERVICES & DISPOSAL CONTAINERS

PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION ASKING CITY COUNCIL TO DO THE RIGHT THING


THE TRUTH ABOUT MERCURY

Mercury is a heavy metal that is highly toxic to humans, animals and plants. Ingesting or coming into contact with mercury can cause symptoms of mercury poisoning. Mercury poisoning is usually a slow process from prolonged or repeated exposure but it can also develop quickly from one incident. When CFL light bulbs break the clean up needs to be handled very carefully and the broken contents are hazardous waste products that need to be disposed of properly. It should never be thrown into the garbage or landfill dumping sites as it will lead to the release of poisonous vapors causing long term effects to human health. currently citizens are expected to transport their broken CFL light bulbs to City Hazardous Waste sites for proper disposal. This is too much work for ordinary people and the city needs to make it easier for citizens to protect their health and the environment. The City should provide containers for disposal along with curbside pick up.

How the city deals with household mercury waste is regulated by the government. Some of the mercury-containing waste goes through a process of recovery and recycling. Some mercury waste can be put through a physico-chemical treatment and some of it is stored permanently in specially engineered underground facilities.
CFL Light Bulbs


CFL LIGHT BULBS USE LESS ENERGY AND LAST LONGER BUT THEY ALSO CONTAIN MERCURY WHICH IS WHEN IN CONTACT WITH ANYTHING LIVING HARMFUL TO PEOPLE & THE ENVIRONMENT


THEY NEED TO BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY FOR OUR PROTECTION

THE CITY NEEDS TO MAKE IT EASY FOR CITIZENS TO DISPOSE OF THEM PROPERLY BY PROVIDING CURBSIDE PICK UP SERVICES & DISPOSAL CONTAINERS

PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION ASKING CITY COUNCIL TO DO THE RIGHT THING


THE TRUTH ABOUT MERCURY

Mercury is a heavy metal that is highly toxic to humans, animals and plants. Ingesting or coming into contact with mercury can cause symptoms of mercury poisoning. Mercury poisoning is usually a slow process from prolonged or repeated exposure but it can also develop quickly from one incident. When CFL light bulbs break the clean up needs to be handled very carefully and the broken contents are hazardous waste products that need to be disposed of properly. It should never be thrown into the garbage or landfill dumping sites as it will lead to the release of poisonous vapors causing long term effects to human health. currently citizens are expected to transport their broken CFL light bulbs to City Hazardous Waste sites for proper disposal. This is too much work for ordinary people and the city needs to make it easier for citizens to protect their health and the environment. The City should provide containers for disposal along with curbside pick up.

How the city deals with household mercury waste is regulated by the government. Some of the mercury-containing waste goes through a process of recovery and recycling. Some mercury waste can be put through a physico-chemical treatment and some of it is stored permanently in specially engineered underground facilities.

Sign Petition
Sign Petition
You have JavaScript disabled. Without it, our site might not function properly.

privacy policy

By signing, you accept Care2's terms of service.
You can manage your email subscriptions at any time.

Having problems signing this? Let us know.