The current owners of Birnbeck Pier, Birnbeck Island, & The Nearby Coastline have failed for too long. North Somerset Council are now pursuing a CPO to take the island, and then give it to The RNLI, who will then need to fund-raise millions of pounds, and more every few years, to restore the pier.
We had a better idea.
High Tides @ Beckton is a mixed-used private development, creating a unique destination in the Bristol Channel, able to financially self-sustain it's own victorian heritage for generations to come, and provide a home for our lifeboats with B-Class & D-Class vessel capabilities, without burdening the RNLI with unnecessary fundraising to spend on steel girders.
We are currently in the process of purchasing all of the land, and repair burden it's stewardship entails, from CNM Estates with Mr Wahid Samady remaining as an advisor to the project to ensure no past mistakes are repeated.
Key Project Highlights & Phase 1 Plans:
- Fully restore the Victorian Pier, restoring the original steel architecture & decking, and updating the walkway to add Ocean Screens for a safer and less-windy pedestrian experience without sacrificing any of the view.
- 14 independant food & drink vendors open 7 days a week, offering an "Outdoors but not Outdoors!" fully sheltered experience, perfect for bringing friends together over a variety of tastes, flavours and drink options!
- Expansive Garden with plenty of room to sit and relax with friends over a hot coffee, and plenty of spaces to shelter from any winds, just in case
- Roof terrace bar & lounge, offering the most breathtaking brunch or evening experience to come to the West Coast, and also creating new jobs. Fully protected from the elements without sacrificing any of the stunning panoramic ocean views.
- Full island 360 walking access for pedestrians
- An estimated 292 temporary jobs in construction during the 1.5 years of Phase I. Vacancies will be filled prioritising local residents where possible, offering priority to local residents living within 15 miles of the island.
- An estimated 112 new permanent jobs created in Estates, Hospitality, Security & Retail. Priority for all positions will be offered to local residents living within a 15 mile radius.
- Dine, drink or just sit on a bench with a coffee and experience our concept of "Outside but never outside". It's our approach to the whole island, and will allow you to enjoy the views on offer from Birnbeck in all weather conditions!
- Free public bathrooms on the island, operated by High Tides @ Birnbeck Estates team.
- A unique Hotel for the only holiday abroad you will ever walk to, with in-house Spa & Wellness Clinic, and creating more new jobs for local residents.
- !, 2 & 3 bed apartments, offering an affordable yet entirely unique island life in the Bristol Channel. Residents & Hotel guests have 24/7 access to the island & pier.
- Independant Historical Advisory Board
- Independant Community & Arts Board
- Hosting our lifeboat service as our guests, indefinitely, at no cost to the charity. High Tides @ Birnbeck is a revenue generating, private enterprise, using a share of it's profits to maintain the island, pier, and all the Grade II listed structures. This would save the RNLI at least £1mill compared to NCO's plans to enforce a CPO and then pass the repair burden to the lifeboat charity, funded entirely by donations.
- Fully preserve all possible Grade II listed structures, buildings and seawork.
- In-house Estates & Security Team on-site 24/7 to keep the island clean, well maintained and safe for all visitors.
- Immediate removal of all barbed-wire and razor wire from the site. This is history, but not a prison camp.