I urge the government of BC to take back the Little Mountain housing site. The Little Mountain redevelopment has been an appalling failure – an embarrassment to the Government of British Columbia and an insult to the people of Vancouver.
2008—The province started pushing residents out of 224 Little Mountain social housing units. 2009—The buildings were demolished. 2019—The land sits empty.
• Lower and middle income Vancouver families, young people and seniors desperately need homes they can afford.
• Developer still has no definite date to complete the project.
• Promised social housing not replaced except for one social housing building of 53 units.
I urge the provincial government to take back the property, keep this important asset in public hands and use the land to:
• replace all of the social housing lost in the destruction of the Little Mountain community;
• build hundreds more social housing units;
• add new homes with guaranteed below market rents and a guarantee the units will remain rental in perpetuity;
• create affordable ownership options such as co-op and co-housing.
It is time for the government of British Columbia to reverse the sale and start over with a plan to use the land in the interests of those who need homes - and not just those who can afford them.