Stop excessive use of plastic

    Today we can see how plastic is ubiquitous in our everyday lives. We can easily find thousands of pre-packaged items in supermarkets, plants, and factories. Most food, mattresses, bedding, things for the home, etc are sold in a plastic package. Although plastic makes our lives more convenient, overuse of packaging can cause damage to the environment and our health. Manufacturers must take greater responsibility to reduce plastic packaging consumption.
    How can plastic packaging be overused? The greatest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions is plastic material. Plastic does not biodegrade. While some believe plastic is safe to use now as it can be recycled or disposed of using new technology, the truth is that only 7% of plastic is recycled every day. The rest 93% go to landfills which can take up to 45 years to decompose. 93% of the plastic wastes pollute soil, water, and can pose serious threats to wildlife and humans. Further, 86% (or more) of the trash found in the Pacific Ocean is plastic. This makes the Pacific Ocean the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch".
    Plastic fragments may get into marine life's digestive system, poisoning them. Toxins can build up within the food chain. Food chain poisons can also be absorbed into the bodies of humans. It is possible for tough plastics to cause severe injuries and death in marine organisms. These plastics were responsible for the deaths of more than 1,000,000 animals, including seabirds and marine mammals. While we don't have an ideal plan yet to dispose of plastics, there are other options.
    As consumers, we have to reduce our plastic use in order to reduce plastic pollution. However, there are many over-packaged items in supermarkets today. It can be hard for consumers not to buy over-packaged items. Why is the problem with this dilemma for consumers? It's manufacturers!
    It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to dispose of excess packages. Reduced packages will not result in a loss of earnings. A well-designed package can promote the product's price, which increases both the cost for buyers and sellers. The cost and price of products can be reduced if manufacturers simplify packaging. Consumers will spend less on daily living expenses. Manufacturers are able to make greater profits as the public is more inclined to purchase products made by corporations that promote social responsibility.
    The goal of removing unnecessary packages is to solve the problem at its source. Additionally, it is far more effective to reduce the emissions of greenhouse gases and global warming than relying only on individuals for their actions.
    I'm Laura Thomas and my team of the site wants for making positive changes in the world, sign the petition today! Let's change the world together!
    Sign Petition
    Sign Petition
    You have JavaScript disabled. Without it, our site might not function properly.

    Privacy Policy

    By signing, you accept Care2's Terms of Service.
    You can unsub at any time here.

    Having problems signing this? Let us know.