Thank you for supporting good land use on Fort Ord.
On June 14th, the Monterey County Board of Supervisors voted to overturn the Planning Commission and approve MST/Whispering Oaks plans to demolish 3,400 coast-live-oak trees and rezone 58 acres of open space to heavy commercial.
Fort Ord Rec Users gathered 17, 701 signatures on a petition for a referendum to reverse this decision. A referendum puts the vote to the people. The Board of Elections has certified the petition and the question will go on the June 2012 ballot if the supervisors don't rescind their approval of this project.
Your signature indicates support for keeping Whispering Oaks as open space and requiring MST to move their construction elsewhere.
forU / Fort Ord Rec Users
To MST Board of Directors and County Board of Supervisors:
1. We support MST and public transit.
2. We affirm the Planning Commissions unanimous refusal to rezone open space for MST Facility and Whispering Oaks Business Park.
3. We affirm the Planning Commission's unanimous refusal to permit clear cutting 4400 trees.
4. We urge MST to accept these refusals and find an alternative site.
5. We support the greenway and Sgt Allan MacDonald Cavalry Trail connecting the beach and BLM trails.
6. We must recognize the trails and open space of former Fort Ord as an important regional resource.
7. We are a community of thousands of rec enthusiasts, using and maintaining trails at former Fort Ord.