Domestic Violence laws need to be changed worldwide. Laws are antiquated and not brought up to date, women and children are still treated as if they are chattel, owned by their abuser.
We need Domestic Violence Support Center's where all the agencies are located in a one stop shop to support the Victims and the children.
These Agencies should have:
1) Crisis Counselling,
2) Legal Aid guaranteed,
3) Doctor on call,
4) Housing IF needed,
5) Ongoing mental health and Abuse education to break the cycle,
6) Employment supports, and/or Disability supports.
What is needed:
1) Jail time for the first offence of assault/abuse is needed.
Make it long enough so they think twice before doing it the first time let alone their trail of continued abuse through alienation, stalking, defamation, financially draining the victim etc... .
2) Mandatory payment of spousal and child support and possession of the house/apartment to the Victim guaranteed on his first court appearance for assault.
3) Mandatory custody of the children to the Victim of DV at his first court appearance for assault.
4) Mandatory psychological testing of the Abuser by a court appointed psychologist who specializes in abnormal personality traits so appropriate decisions re access to the children can be made, ordered and enforced.
Courts need psychologists sitting with the judge when Orders are made.
5) Mandatory Counselling to Break the Cycle of Abuse for the children and the Victim is needed.
6) Victims need to be present in the court when the Abuser appears.
Not knowing, not being informed and not being allowed to participate in their Abuser's sentence isn't right. We need to be there and allowed to participate in the decisions which affect us the Victims.
7) Employment training for the Victim, if appropriate.
Funding for job training, volunteering, job mentoring so the Victim can become autonomous and self sufficient.
8) Real oversight and psychological testing of lawyers, judges for abnormal personality traits.
This would prevent further abuse to the Victims from happening in the court system. Abuse of power and abuse of process needs to be monitored closely.
9) Real oversight of Children's Aid Societies and mandatory psychological testing for abnormal personality traits of social workers and child protection workers to prevent these individuals from taking these positions of authority and using them for abuse of power and abuse of process.
They should not have carte blanche in these decisions. Judges are too swayed by these privately owned $50 Million dollar incorporations. If only our goverment could run as efficiently as these Child Mills Run.
Negotiating doesn't work with an Abuser. Abusers know they have control over their victims and thumb their nose at Orders.
Our laws have to change to stop the further abuse to Victims through the court. Custody decisions are made by judges who don't take the domestic violence into account.
Domestic Violence is acceptable and normalized by our Laws, in our Courts and in our Society.
Our Courts and Laws are antiquated. Let's bring everything up to date. Women and Children shouldn't be treated like Chattel in our Courts.
Laws need to be made to punish our Abusers not let them go. Victims need appropriate action and enforcement to be taken by our Courts to prevent further abuse from occurring to them.
This is a Human Rights Issue occurring daily throughout the world in our Courts.
Do we count? Most importantly do our children count?
YES WE DO! YES THEY DO!
Together let's show our governments that Victims of Domestic Violence are not going to be treated like Chattel anymore and that we've had enough!
This is OUR MOVEMENT for CHANGE, for PROTECTION, for SUPPORT, TO SAY WE the VICTIMS MATTER!! It's time to change how the courts treat Victims of Domestic Violence.
Let's show them our numbers. Let's sign the petition together.