Martholme Viaduct (Gt Harwood & Read) AND PATH BETWEEN VIADUCT AND READ
Please support our campaign to open the viaduct and footpath. This path was used for many, many years as a concessionary path before it was closed due to the Foot & Mouth outbreak in 2000. Since 2005 the landowner has resisted the opening of the concessionary footpath. The opening of this footpath would join up the Hyndburn and Padiham Greenways and enable more safe & circular walking & cycling routes. Leave your comments, photos etc and share history on Facebook MartholmeViaduct.
The Petitions Officer
Lancashire County Council
PO Box 78
Martholme Viaduct to Padiham Greenway
I, the undersigned, resident of Lancashire, support the campaign to open Martholme Viaduct and the old railway track to link Great Harwood to the Padiham Greenway. I call upon Lancashire County Council, Sustrans and Railway Paths Limited to open Martholme Viaduct and the old railway track from Great Harwood, Mill Lane to join the Padiham Greenway and have this included on the definitive maps, a legal record of the public's rights of way, as a bridleway.
I also call upon Lancashire County Council,Sustrans and Railway Paths Limited to: -
- lend support to the long term aim to open the links along the disused railway line and across the viaduct between Great Harwood and Read;
- use their powers under the Highways Act to obtain a public footpath creation order for the Martholme link;
- include the land previously owned by British Rail in the National Cycle Network;
- create a formal lease to Sustrans on land owned by Railway Paths along this route;
- to improve the amenities in the area, and increase path users' safety and enjoyment by avoiding the need to walk or ride on roads especially main roads;
- to provide access to the countryside under the Disability Discrimination Act;
- investigate other possible routes if necessary;
- fully consult with local residents on any proposals.
Your name (PRINTED CLEARLY)
CC: Railway Paths,5th Floor, Hanover House, 30-32 Charlotte Street, Manchester M1 4FD
CC: Sustrans, 2 Cathedral Square, College Green, Bristol, BS1 5DD
Update #44 years ago
We now have a support letter template that can be emailed to you from firstname.lastname@example.org
Update #34 years ago
The petition site has been extended to Sunday 16th November to coincide with the local hard copy petitions. Please continet to support us and spread the word
We reached the 31st July and more than 1000 signatures. We have received several emails asking us to keep the campaign going so I have adjusted the target to 2000 by 30th September 2014.
Thank you all for your support and encouragement.
Update #24 years ago
We are doing really well. At the last county elections the elected member got around 1279 votes. Wouldn't it be great if we could get more than 1280 before the end of the month. Please promote the campaign. We need more signatures. Please keep supporting us.
Update #14 years ago
We reached 1000 but we still need signatures and details of the dates and times when you walked/cycled the route. These can be put on Facebook Marthome Viaduct.