Petition to the Village/Town Board of Mt. Kisco to revise and delete the portion of the 2018 Solar Law that allows for the possible construction of a massive Tier III Solar Power Plant installation in one Conservation District (CD) Lot in the Village, which is located at 180 South Bedford Rd.
The CD zoning change was approved in 2018 by the Trustees of the Village of Mount Kisco and arguably allows for the installation of a ground mounted Solar Power Plant on a 25 acre, naturally forested parcel of land which is adjacent to both Mt Kisco Chase, Marsh Sanctuary, and other residential properties. This is an affront to both Mother Nature and our Community.
I am a resident of or an owner of a home in Mt. Kisco including Mt. Kisco Chase. I am signing this petition against this Power Plant for numerous reasons, including the following:
1) The Solar Power Plant violates the Village Comprehensive Plan "Scenic Overlay" designation that was in effect at the time was Solar Law was passed in 2018.
2) The installation of the Solar Power Plant would require clear cutting nearly 700 mature and specimen trees.
3) The Solar Power Plant would destroy wildlife habitat of countless species of birds and animals including the Box Turtle and possibly the Bald Eagle which has been spotted flying around the area.
4) The destruction of forest would also create polluted storm water runoff down steep slopes that not only threatens adjacent residential homes but also the Kisco River and NYC watershed.
5) Public trust on this issue has been compromised due to appearance of conflict as it appears the current Planning Board Chair had a potential financial interest in the inclusion of the one CD Lot located at 180 South Bedford Road at the time the Solar Law was passed in 2018 and withheld this interest from the Board and the Public.
6) Proper notification of the Rezoning was NOT provided to the Public at large and all impacted parties.
7) The submission to the County Board in regard to the Solar Law contained many substantial and material omissions.
8) No Environmental review was conducted prior to the inclusion of this one Lot in the Solar Law.
9) The installation of a Solar Power Plant at this location provides neither direct benefit to the residents of Mt. Kisco nor to the Village.
10) The Rezoning was done against the advice and wisdom of the Town Planner.
This Property, which the Town for many years rightly found should remain wooded and scenic, should be purchased from the current owner at a fair and reasonable price and dedicated to the Marsh Sanctuary, which owns the two adjacent lots, so all future Mt. Kisco generations can benefit from its use, as was always recommended for this specific site. If COVID-19 has taught us anything is that we need more open space. Not less.
Please place this letter/petition on the agenda for your Thursday Septemer 10, 2020 Village Board meeting under Correspondence, make it part of the public record, and read it aloud during the meeting.