Your toothpaste could be killing the oceans. It's that simple. Microbeads are in so many products I'm starting to lose count! Now there are safe and natural exfoliants like salt, seashell or sugar scrubs - but i'm talking about manufactured plastic microbeads.
Why are they a problem?
1) They don't break down.
2) They're easily ingested.
3) They absorb some seriously toxic pollutants.
Why are microbeads so full of pollutants?
The plastic beads themselves aren't so bad, but because plastic is porous, it absorbs all the pollutants and heavy metals in the ocean.
Organic pollutants and toxic chemicals stick to the microbead surface and this research has shown for the first time that some of these pollutants are absorbed by fish eating the microbeads.
As an aside, microbeads also do damage by lodging in small creatures' guts and gills, so there is no room for food.
Sign this petition and let's stand for our planet!