Pattern Energy plans to build a 1200+ acre solar plant on approximately 1,400 acres of leased land in Van Zandt County Texas. The scale and location of this plant irresponsibly destroys valuable and productive ranch and farmland with no benefit to the community.
This plant will:
* Consist of over 450,000 solar panels and 70,000 pylons surrounded by a chain link fence
* Affect surrounding properties and residences, including home foundations and water wells.
* Destroy the property values of the surrounding properties, devastating residents and lowering property values and property taxes.
The Economic Impacts Include:
* Reduce the surrounding home and property values.
* Lower tax collections for the county
* Provide no power for local use, as power is sold to Oncor.
* Damage surrounding state and county roads.
The Environmental impacts include:
* Destruction of the habitat for bald eagles, deer, owls, coyotes, and other wildlife
* Damage the Wilcox Aquifer, and Cedar Creek Reservoir Watershed. The herbicides and pesticides used, along with soil runoff, will contaminate and damage those water supplies and waterways.
*Inhibit first responders from responding to and containing fires in or near the plant, putting people and property at risk.
State and local officials should work to protect their citizens and:
* Vote against any tax abatements or special tax incentives or breaks.
* Actively work to convince Pattern Development not to build in Van Zandt County.
* Direct all State, County, and local agencies and departments to fully investigate the damage this project will cause and deny any permits requested to build this project.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org